"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Asexual Sighting: Jughead Jones (Archie)

The last (possible) Asexual Sighting I did was Arthur Martin on Six Feet Under, ages ago.  Fortunately, I stumbled across this brand-new (old) discovery at The Mary Sue.  Jughead.  Canonically asexual (and aromantic.)  That happened.

Okay, background information:  Archie comics have been around since 1941, and Jughead, Archie’s best friend, has been a key member of the Riverdale gang from the start.  Like any comic series, Archie has changed and evolved a lot over its long history.  It’s taken different iterations and acquired offshoots, one of which is the new Jughead comic that began last fall.  Penned by comic writer Chip Zdarsky, it’s here that we get an ace Jughead.

Jughead’s asexuality was revealed in the comic’s most recent issue, which came out last month.  I love the issue’s handling of it for several reasons.  First, it’s not a coming-out narrative.  Within the context, it’s clear that Jughead’s friends already know about his aceness, and it’s brought up casually in conversation.  Second, his character doesn’t revolve around his sexuality.  In fact, it’s just a handful of lines on one page, the epitome of “no big deal” representation.  Third, Jughead is a 100% contented aro-ace.  He doesn’t mind being asexual at all.  Quite the reverse – he claims he’s the only one in school who “can think clearly” because he’s “not hobbled by these hormonal impulses.”  (I can relate to that; while I don’t argue that being ace is “better” or anything, I absolutely love being who I am and really wouldn’t have it any other way.)  Fourth, it fits surprisingly well into his characterization from the last 75 years.  This is no retcon situation.  Jughead has never been a big dater, and while he doesn’t hate girls or think they’re gross, he’s not into them (or boys) in “that way,” and he’d rather think about cheeseburgers than cheerleaders.  It’s just that there was no name for it in the ‘40s, and now there is.

I’ve only read the ace-reveal issue (No. 4) so far, but Jughead is enjoyable enough that I’ve ordered the back issues and plan to keep buying the comic.  Jughead himself is a fun, unlikely hero.  A bit of a slacker, a bit of a slob, but also smarter than he looks and something of a daydreamer.  He’s chill and smart-alecky, and in moments of stress (like dodgeball games,) he evidently imagines himself as a pirate named Captain Slackbeard – who doesn’t love that?  He doesn’t have the typical social-awkwardness quirks that frequency accompany suspected aceness (see Sherlock, The Big Bang Theory, and Six Feet Under.)  Rather, the only thing that signals him out as ace is simply that:  his lack of sexual attraction.  Very refreshing, and I’m looking forward to reading more.

On a personal note, this is a represention coup that feels really personal to me.  I know that comics tend to play around a bit more with the LGBTQ alphabet soup than other media do, so I wouldn’t have necessarily run out and bought any comic starring an asexual character.  But it’s Jughead.  I still have crystal-clear memories of stretching out on the floor at my grandparents’ house, reading and rereading my mom’s old, crumbling Archie comics, and I remember Jughead the funny sidekick.  This is a character who’s been part of the pop culture lexicon for three-quarters of a century, a familiar, beloved figure, and he’s like me.  That’s huge, and I’m so glad that Chip Zdarsky recognized how Jughead’s history lent itself to incorporating some sexual diversity into his hero’s characterization.  Way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment