"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, May 8, 2014

(Possible) Asexual Sighting: Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)

 
As I’ve mentioned, most of the few ace-ish characters I’ve seen are unconfirmed, but they’re what I have to work with, so here we are.  Although Moffat has denied that Sherlock is asexual, I prefer to stick with what I’ve seen in-show, and I’ve seen nothing to refute my first impressions.
 
For me, it’s hard to look at Sherlock’s hero and not see an asexual (and probably an aromantic.)  We’ll start at the horse’s mouth.  Sherlock tells John that “girlfriends aren’t really [his] area” and he doesn’t have a boyfriend.  He considers himself “married to [his] work,” which doesn’t necessarily mean he’s ace – plenty of workaholic characters on TV – but it’s worth a mention.  Also, when Irene suggests that they “have dinner” (code for sex, professional dominatrices being known for their delicate euphemisms,) his response is, “Why would I have dinner if I wasn’t hungry?”  Not “too busy to eat,” or “not in in the mood to eat,” or even “what you’re serving isn’t to my taste.”  Rather, he’s not “hungry” – ie, he has no physical urge that needs feeding.
 
I haven’t seen Sherlock show a sexual/romantic interest in anyone, and he’s had options.  Molly and Irene have been into him, there’s Moriarty’s flirting, Kitty comes onto him as a ploy, he catches Janine’s eye, and he thinks John is hitting on him early on.  He’s by turns apologetic (letting John down easy,) disinterested (preferring Irene to solve puzzles rather than play sexpot,) and disdainful (laying harshly into Kitty.)  Sometimes, he misjudges someone’s attraction for him, like Molly and the Christmas gift – a surprising gaffe for a deductive genius, but common for many asexuals.  I know I’ve had to learn that, “Can I have your phone number?” may not mean, “Let’s be friends.”  Additionally, I don’t see Sherlock yearning for even a non-specified someone, desiring a sexual and/or romantic relationship with an as-yet-undiscovered-partner.
 
Irene may seem to clash with this idea; as she says, he “knew where to look.”  I argue that, while Sherlock is surprised by Irene’s nudity (who wouldn’t be?,) there’s no evidence that she arouses him.  John is flustered and wants her clothed.  Sherlock, meanwhile, discourses intelligently and is level-headed enough to correctly eyeball her measurements.  He’s intrigued by her, and I’m not ruling out intellectual/emotional attraction, but I don’t see proof that he “wants” her.
 
The strongest evidence is the most irritating:  the way characters frequently “other” Sherlock’s orientation.  John and Mrs. Hudson speculate over his seemingly-nonexistent love life when he’s out of earshot, wondering if he’s ever dated anyone and how they of all people wouldn’t know.  When Sherlock tells Mycroft that “sex doesn’t alarm [him],” his brother’s rather smug response is, “How would you know?”  Moriarty calls him “The Virgin” and Irene asks if he’s ever “had” anyone.  Janine laments of him, “I wish you weren’t… whatever you are.”  People are forever finding his seeming lack of interest abnormal/perplexing, worthy of comment/mockery.
 
If Sherlock is asexual/aromantic, what does it mean for representation?  On the downside, a lot of his traits fit unfortunate stereotypes.  Like fellow potential-ace Sheldon Cooper, he’s rude and antisocial, dismissive of anyone less intelligent than himself (in his mind, everyone.)  Many characters see him as an unfeeling robot incapable of empathy.  However, he’s entertaining, brilliant (some of his deductions make my jaw drop,) and complicated.  Though he keeps it quiet, he feels deeply and needs people more than he admits.  Plus, it’s great to see such a popular possibly-ace character.  See, writers?  Don’t be scared to include us!  We can be fun to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment