"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Winter Soldier, Vol. 1: The Longest Winter (2011-2012)

Back after Captain America:  The Winter Soldier came out in theaters, that comic book arc was the first non-Doctor Who trade paperback I picked up.  I was really impressed by the story, even if I wasn’t quite ready for just how, uh… intensely comic-book it was compared to the movie plot.  Now, I’ve finally got around to picking up the first volume of the Winter Soldier solo series by Ed Brubaker, the same author of that Captain America storyline.  (I tried once before but was a little off the mark, not having realized there was a new, different Winter Soldier series out.)  Premise spoilers.

The volume begins with a bit of set-up from a Captain America book, wherein we learn that, once again, contrary to appearances, Bucky Barnes isn’t really dead.  This time, though, it’s according to his plan.  With the help of S.H.I.E.L.D. and his old cohort/flame Black Widow, he’s faked his own death in order to slip into the shadows and deal with some enemies who’ve recently resurfaced, people he knew from his Winter Soldier days.  Together, Bucky and Natasha take on a sinister plot involving sleeper agents, technologically-augmented gorillas (yes, really,) and a robot copy of Dr. Doom.

This is a well-made comic, an engaging spy thriller that still feels sincere despite its sillier elements.  It’s gritty, action-packed, and a little dark, with Bucky confronting some of the ghosts of his past.  He and Natasha work well together in every sense of the word – their relationship was a bit of comic-book history that I knew about and which had always intrigued me, enough that I was disappointed when the movies didn’t even really hint at that.  I enjoy seeing them here, fighting alongside each other and getting things done in between little glimpses of something deeper.

For me, though, the comic falls in the realm of “solid but not a slamdunk.”  Through no real fault of its own, honestly!  It’s just that, the more I’ve gotten into different titles, the more I’ve gravitated toward a certain style.  Ms. Marvel, The Totally Awesome Hulk, Jughead (especially under Chip Zdarsky) – these are the series that really get me excited, an excellent blend of humor, heart, and high-stakes moments.  I’m not at all opposed to more serious comics like this one or The Sandman, but even as I enjoy them and objectively admire the talent of their authors and artists, the others just grab me, engage me, a little more.  I’m sure I’ll check out the rest of Winter Soldier in time – particularly since I know it only ran four volumes total - but I have a feeling I’ll focus on my favorites first.

Warnings

Lots of comic book violence and thematic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment