"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Character Highlight: Clinton Barton a.k.a. Hawkeye (The Avengers)

I feel like Hawkeye has never gotten quite a fair shake from me, and that’s in large part due to the first Avengers movie.  It was my introduction to his character, and it’s pretty lacking to say the least.  Even though he’s been given more characterization in subsequent movies, it still sort of fights with the blankness of my first impression of him (a few Hawkeye-related spoilers.)

True, I came to the MCU a bit backwards.  The Avengers is actually Hawkeye’s second film appearance, but even if I’d seen his cameo in Thor first, I still wouldn’t have had much sense of him.  Between the couple of minutes of screentime there and his first few minutes of The Avengers before Loki puts the whammy on him, there’s time to figure out that Hawkeye 1) is great with a bow and arrow and 2) seems to enoy deadpan snark.  That’s not a lot to go on, and putting characters under a spell is always going to resonate more when we actually know who they are and care about them.  (Granted, going into The Avengers, I only knew Tony and Pepper, but if I’d seen it as intended, Hawkeye would have still been the Avenger I’d known the least about.  By the time that movie hit, we’d met everyone else in more than just cameos – even Bruce had had the sort-of-canon(?) Edward Norton movie, not to mention the Hulk is much more of a pop culture figure in general.)  As it was, the main reason I cared about what happened to him the first time I saw it was because I saw how important he was to Natasha, and I cared about her.  Nothing to do with who he was, because I didn’t know.

That was a tough position to put Hawkeye in for his first big rodeo, and for me, he’s never quite recovered from that.  Every other MCU hero has made a bigger impression on me, including newcomers like the Vision, supporting heroes like Rhodey, and briefly-appearing ones like Pietro.  Because it isn’t like we haven’t gotten a better sense of who Hawkeye is since then – wry humor and a wicked shot, sure, but he’s also a competent agent, a loyal friend, and a (secret) family man with an apparent obsession with home renovation.  It’s just that that filled-in-later characterization can’t supplant the cipher I initially saw him as, and that’s a problem.

What I do like about Hawkeye is mainly how he relates to other characters.  I like his friendship with Natasha, especially in the last part of The Avengers; the “do you know what it’s like to be unmade?” conversation between them on the Helicarrier is particularly good.  I also enjoy their traded comments as they fight in Civil War.  But even more, though, I think I like his interactions with the Maximoffs.  His running feud with Pietro is great – despite what we know in hindsight, I still love that moment in Age of Ultron when he’s grumbling to himself about how he could shoot Pietro right there and no one would ever know – and it’s cool to watch the evolution of the quasi-mentor-thing he has going on with Wanda.  After being the only one not to get hit with her mind mojo and in fact giving her quite a good hit himself, he eventually becomes the person who helps her collect herself during the attack on Sokovia, giving her the focus she needs to use her powers for good and help protect the city.  The main reason he joins Team Cap in Civil War is because he finds out Tony’s keeping Wanda under house arrest at the Avengers base, and I like that.

Although I’ve come to enjoy him more than my first exposure to him as a Loki brain puppet, I feel like Hawkeye will always be near the bottom rung in my estimation of Avengersverse characters, and that’s a shame.  Because really, it’s about what was written for him rather than who he actually is as a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment