"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Few Thoughts on Chip Zdarsky vs. Ryan North as Jughead Writers

As of the most recent issue, which came out last week, Ryan North’s stint on Jughead is over.  He’s passing the reins next to Mark Waid, who also handles the current Archie series.  Since Jughead now has two writers under its belt, both of whom wrote a couple of complete arcs, I wanted to take a minute to compare Chip Zdarsky and Ryan North’s approaches to the comic.

I won’t rehash the asexual stuff, since I’ve covered that extensively for both writers (in summary, Zdarksy forever.)  And certainly, that got North off to a bad start with me.  I take my gloriously-ace Jughead very seriously, and the whole Sabrina arc had me alternately on edge, feeling bad for Jughead, and wondering when all of Jughead’s heteronormative friends – even Kevin! (still bitter) – would get schooled on what’s what (still waiting on that last one.)  Still, I took North’s second arc as a chance for a fresh start, preparing to attempt a more objective look when I wasn’t freaked about him messing with the best representation I’ve ever found.

…And?  Still not impressed.  Which is disappointing for me, because there are some really good bits in amongst his stuff.  Some great jokes, especially in signage – I loved “Josie and the Secret Pussycats (the Other Pussycats Don’t Know About)” and the great Buzzfeed send-up.  I also like that North expands on the thread Zdarsky had of showing that Jughead and Betty are really good friends.  It was a surprise to me to see them hanging out alone together in issue #9, but by the tiem we got to the end of #14, I could buy the big moment they were selling.  Also, Derek Charm’s artwork is fantastic throughout.  #7-8 are my favorite issues of Jughead for the story, but the winning combo of Zdarsky’s writing and Charm’s artwork made it even better.

For the most part, though, I don’t feel North’s Jughead measures up to what came before.  Apart from the (again, extensively covered) handling of ace topics, there are two main sticking points that come up for me.  The first is a tendency on North’s part to write the characters as thumbnails, boiling them down to single traits that hammered home with most of their lines/actions.  Now, I get that these are Archie characters we’re talking about here, but still.  A significant portion of Betty’s dialogue feels copied from SJW Tumblr posts, and most of Dilton’s lines use the lazy “brain” shorthand of just filling them with big words.  Not that people who are passionate about social change don’t talk about it, and not that super-smart people don’t use big words.  But they don’t exclusively do those things.  In Zdarsky’s Jughead, we see Betty petitioning to save Fox Forest amongst various other things she does, and while Jughead recruits Dilton to use his mad computer skills against Principal Stanger, we also learn that Dilton is an amazing dancer (canon x infinity.)  North’s one-note approach to the characters even extends quite a bit to Jughead himself.  While it’s no secret that Jughead’s one true love is hamburgers, his characterization under North feels too “foodfoodomgilovefood,” even for him.  (Weirdly enough, the character that it seems North is most interested in exploring is Reggie.)

My second issue also applies to Jughead.  Honestly, for a lot of North’s run, Jughead is kind of useless.  Issues #9-14 are marked by him getting himself into stupid troubles and, by and large, flailing when it comes to trying to get out of them.  There’s a lot of Jughead throwing his hands in the air in defeat, and even when he is trying to solve the problems he created/fell into, they’re mostly bad ideas doomed to laughable failure.  In the end, things tend to just work out, and not through any meaningful contribution on his part.  And to me, that’s not Jughead at all.  With the likes of Dilton and Betty around, Jughead may not be the smartest guy in the room, but he’s always one of the savviest guys in the room.  Although he may be a slacker, he’s still really shrewd and can come up with great plans when he’s motivated to.  He’s kind of the man throughout the Stanger arc – super funny and totally Jughead, but the man.  His creative ways of avoiding detention are, I think, one of the most quintessentially Jughead moments of the series so far.  And while he doesn’t have such a well-positioned foe to fight against in the summer vacation arc and is hilarious at being lost in the woods (I laughed so hard at him looking around for food packets, like you’d find in a video game,) he’s way better at being lost in the woods than Archie and continually manages to be quite proactive for a lazy person.  He makes mistakes, sure, and the things he does can be harebrained, but he’s never inept and not one to give in.  These past six issues, I’ve really missed that Jughead.

We’ll see how Mark Waid does when he takes over.  I haven’t read his Archie stuff, but I know the series is pretty well-regarded.  It also sounds like his first crack at the series, like North’s, will feature a Big Ace Girl Problem (albeit in a different vein,) which worries me – I’d prefer a little assurance that these writers can handle Jughead’s asexuality in a low-key day-to-day way before they jump into a plot that focuses extensively on it.  Fingers crossed that it at least goes okay, and that, if nothing else, Jughead’s friends finally get their long-overdue talking-to.

No comments:

Post a Comment