"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, August 31, 2020

Other Doctor Lives: The Crown: Series 2, Episode 10 – “Mystery Man” (2017)

 

Season 2 finale. I’m a little reminded of Skins, which had a different “generation” with all new cast members every two seasons. In the case of The Crown, though, it’s the same characters – they’ve just jumped ahead in time to the point where they’re played by older actors. So this is the last episode that stars Claire Foy and Matt Smith.

A scandal hits the newspapers, tales of wild parties for Britain’s elite hosted by a well-positioned man who plies them with ample temptations. The news is salacious, and everyone speculates on the identity of a “mystery man” whose face isn’t visible in the photographs. Elizabeth is in the midst of a personal difficulty when Margaret drops the bombshell – there are those who think the mystery man is Philip.

I’ll be honest, this one had a hard time keeping my attention. Other slice-of-British-history-that-I-didn’t-know-much-about episodes, like “Act of God” and “Marionettes,” were involving and interesting to me, so I’m not sure why my mind kept wandering here. I feel like, either it wasn’t as well done (it feels like something that could’ve been seeded earlier in the season and brought to fruition here) or I’ve just kind of run out of steam with this show. Possibly some of both.

The acting is all good, and there are some nice moments for the “generation 1” actors making their swan song (including one last bit with Matthew Goode’s Tony.) Foy has some good material in her scenes with the current PM (MacMillan – I haven’t mentioned it before, but he’s played by Anton Lesser, a.k.a. Qyburn on Game of Thrones, so I was always prepared for him to do shady, weaselly things,) demonstrating some of how she’s grown in her relationships with her prime ministers since the early days of season 1.

Even though Philip is a major topic of discussion and the source of a lot of consternation for Elizabeth, he himself isn’t particularly present throughout the episode. He spends a big chunk of it noted more for his absence, which of course adds to the “is he the mystery man?” drama.

But when he does appear on the scene again, we’re given a long, wonderfully-acted scene between Foy and Smith in which Smith does a splendid job of making me want to smack Philip in the face. Which, I mean… it’s not like I’m surprised at this point. Of course Philip is going to be a putz and act all indignant that anyone could expect him of being anything less than a devoted, supportive husband – sure, guy. The one thing that does surprise me is him invoking George VI’s charge to him from back in the pilot (that his number-one job from here on out will be to support Elizabeth,) bringing it up as if it’s the compass he’s lived by ever since that day. That’s when I want to smack him.

The thing is, whether or not he did what people suspect he might have done, whether or not he’s upset that Elizabeth can think him capable of it, it’s ridiculous that he’s shocked, I tell you, shocked!, that his behavior throughout the vast majority of the series has given her that impression. It either displays a stunning lack of self-awareness or a shrewd talent for gaslighting his wife the queen, and based on too much of what we’ve seen from him, my gut tells me it’s probably six of one, half a dozen of the other.

That’s what really gets me, the “how could you ever believe I could do such a thing?” of it all. Fittingly, since this is Other Doctor Lives, I’m reminded of a scene from Doctor Who featuring Smith’s successor Peter Capaldi. The Twelfth Doctor is irritated at Clara fawning over the idea of Robin Hood, and he asks, “When did you start believing in impossible heroes?” Clara fondly replies, “Don’t you know?”, and the implication is clear: he’s her impossible hero, and he doesn’t even know it! Isn’t that sweet? But in actual fact, I was yelling at my TV, “Of course he doesn’t know! Last week he asked you if he was a good man and you said you didn’t know, so why on earth would he think he was your hero?” It’s that same disingenuousness, and Philip hearkening back to that scene with George VI, who was pretty lovely and way more of a man than Philip with all his posturing, adds insult to injury.

Long story short? So long, The Crown.

Recommend?

In General – Not particularly. I can’t remember the last time a show squandered its potential in my mind so thoroughly. Gorgeous production values and terrific acting, but on the whole, I just don’t come away feeling like it’s worth it.

Matt Smith – Now this is a little weird, because even though I’ve spent a not-inconsiderable amount of time in these reviews complaining about Philip, I’d tentatively recommend watching at least a few episodes for the sake of Smith’s acting, which remains very strong despite everything. So, if you’re in it purely for Matt Smith and don’t mind jumping around, I’d recommend “Wolfterton Splash,” “Hyde Park Corner,” “Smoke & Mirrors,” “A Company of Men,” and maybe “Paterfamilias.”

Warnings

Language, a little violence, sexual content (implied more often than shown,) drinking/smoking, and thematic elements (including suicide.)

No comments:

Post a Comment