"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Top Five Songs: All This Bad Blood (Bastille)

I’m not sure if this album B-sides to Bad Blood or what.  I can’t recall ever getting a CD that came with a full-length bonus album of all different songs – remixes, sure, the odd new song here and there, but this whole album is new.  Whatever it is, I approve.  My picks are below.

“Poet” – Come on, how could I not love this one?  A writer immortalizing his beloved in words?  I’m all over that.  I adore the way the metaphor is used and how sexy it is, especially the repeated refrain of “I have written you down” and the line “I have read her with these eyes” in the bridge.

Best lyric:  “Now you’ll live through the ages. / I can feel your pulse in the pages.”

“The Silence” – Soaring melody, beautifully poetic lyrics, and this ineffable spirit that carries through it.  Such a gorgeous song; I love it so much.  “We used to swim in your stories / And be pulled down by the tide” gives such wonderful imagery, and since it also dwells on the power of words, it makes a perfect companion to “Poet.”

Best lyric:  “Wrap me around your fingers, / Break the silence open wide / Before it seeps into my ears / And fills me up from the inside.”

“Haunt” – First three songs, first three favorites – quite the frontloaded album.  That’s okay, though.  This one’s just cool and atmospheric, using the idea of a ghost to explore the regret of a lost relationship.  It makes me think of a line from Dead Like Me, where George notes, “Rube once told me that haunting is all about envy.”  In both cases, the haunting is viewed through the lens of the “ghost,” not the person who’s being visited, so focus is on the why, not the what.

Best lyric:  “You can’t see what’s past, make that happiness last, / Seeing from those eyes what you’ve become.”

“Laughter Lines” – So warm and lovely, one of the best ruminations I’ve found on the idea of “growing old” with someone.  “I’ll see you in the future when we’re older” expresses the idea wonderfully, suggesting an adventure or a journey, more than the passage of time.  Similarly, I like the way “I’ll see you with your laughter lines” recognizes the beauty of age and relishes it.

Best lyric:  “You took me to your favorite place on Earth / To see the tree they cut down ten years from your birth. / Our fingers traced in circles ‘round its history. / We brushed our hands right back in time through centuries.”

“Skulls” – Well, since we’ve done love preserved on paper and love enduring into old age, why love continuing after death?  Yes, it gets a little close to the morbid/angsty place occupied by people who don’t realize Romeo and Juliet were really dumb, but it also reminds me of the end of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and, as dramatic as that is, it still pulls me in like wow.  Major points by association!

Best lyric:  “Hold me in your arms, hold me in your arms. / I’ll be buried here with you, / And I’ll hold in these hands all that remains.”

No comments:

Post a Comment