"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014, PG-13)

*Disclaimer: I really enjoyed Days of Future Past when it came out and, regrettably, welcomed Bryan Singer’s return to the X-Men franchise. Once again, it sucks that a film has been soiled by the presence of a powerful predator.*
 
*Update: Fixed an actor's name.*

The last time I checked my local multiplex showtimes, I found I’d missed both Belle and The Amazing Spiderman 2.  So, I decided to waste no time in following up First Class with the latest X-Men adventure.  Although Days of Future Past is clearly tied to the ‘00s X-Men films, the semi-reboot feel of First Class gives it the air of a sequel.  For me, it does what all my favorite sequels – like Catching Fire, Spider-Man 2, or The Two Towers – do:  tightens up the sloppier aspects of the first film while doubling down on what made it great.  While I liked First Class, I really loved Days of Future Past, and it made me excited about the X-Men franchise again.
In 2023, mutants and humans alike are being eliminated by a legion of nigh-unstoppable robots, and the situation is grim.  Professor X and Magneto agree that their best chance for survival is to prevent the inciting incident that first led to the creation of the robots, so Wolverine’s consciousness is sent back 50 years in time to assemble the troops and avert disaster.  (Note:  I understand Shadowcat was the one to go back in the original comic storyline.  While I get that, unlike Wolverine, Shadowcat ages and wouldn’t have a younger body in the ‘70s to jump into, it still feels like a missed opportunity to let Elliot Page be awesome; I shake my head at that.)
First of all, it’s great to see the old gang again.  Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen are as fantastic as ever, and Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine with his usual gruff charm.  Though Elliot Page’s Shadowcat has a reduced role, she’s still brave and resourceful in the 2023 sequences, and remarkably tough under pressure.  Not much to say about Storm, Iceman, and Colossus, since they’re mainly used in fight scenes, as are a smattering of new faces. 
On the 1973 side of things, James McAvoy is really excellent as a wrecked, disillusioned Professor X.  The events of First Class have taken a toll on him, as have the pain and sorrow a telepath overhears, and he has to be reminded of the hero he can be.  Magneto continues to make good points but terrible decisions, wanting to protect mutants from a fearful and ignorant public but having an unfortunate “obliterate first, ask questions later” philosophy.  Much like the Hulk, Beast gets in on action scenes and brainy scenes, and his Beast-look is worlds better than it was in First Class.  Mystique plays a pivotal role in the proceedings, and while Jennifer Lawrence is reliably good, the cynical part of me wonders if her explosion in popularity in the years between First Class and Days of Future Past influenced her prominence in the story.  Good ole Peter Dinklage gets in on the fun as a non-powered baddie and is of course his amazing self.
What else is there to say?  Terrific action, an engaging narrative, and excellent character moments.  I love the flavor of the ‘70s sequences, and I continue to enjoy the way the X-Men reboot weaves mutants into American history – I might have to make this movie my personal head-canon on the whole magic bullet theory.
Warnings
Language, comic book violence, and a little sexual content, including naked Mystique.

No comments:

Post a Comment