"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, June 9, 2014

Top Five Performances: 2014 Tony Awards

The musical performances loom large in any Tony telecast, so it seemed ripe for a little Top Five treatment.  Here are my favorites from last night.
 


After Midnight
 
This musical recreates the experience of going to a Jazz Age nightclub, and the number they performed sizzled with energy and uproarious excitement.  Some nice voices and incredible dancing, the kind of dancing that makes me salivate with jealousy.
 


Cabaret
 
Yes, I know they’ve done it before.  I know that nothing’s really changed, but come on!  Alan Cumming as the Emcee doing “Willkommen” – that’s worth revisiting any day.  His captivating, sexy performance remains one for the ages.
 


Violet
 
I’m not too familiar with the musical set in the 1960s U.S., but their song was lovely and well-sung, and you never go wrong with Sutton Foster.  She was wonderfully winning as a young facially-disfigured woman traveling across the country to meet a faith healer.  One nitpick, though – no scar!  Did Sutton just not want to mess with that makeup for Tony night, or does Violet not actually have a visible scar in the show?  What’s up with that?
 


Hedwig and the Angry Inch
 
I’ll admit to being shocked that they did “Sugar Daddy” (I would’ve bet money on “The Origin of Love” or “Wig in a Box,”) but I suppose it was maybe so Lena Hall would get to do a bit more singing.  Either way, while Neil Patrick Harris is no John Cameron Mitchell, he made for a very fun Hedwig.  This performance exploded with energy and cheekiness, and I had a blast watching Hedwig interact with the audience members.
 


A Gentlemen’s Guide to Love and Murder
 
I knew very little about this show going in, but I just adored this performance.  Excellent music and tremendous performances, acting and singing alike.  The scene was a classic farcical “man tries to hide two women from one another” setup, and it was fantastically executed with two constantly opening/closing doors and a terrific trio of performers.  Not much spectacle, but heavy emphasis on quality and talent.  More than any other, this number made me want to learn more about its show.

No comments:

Post a Comment