"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Ruth Rendell Mysteries: Series 4, Episode 1 – “Some Lie and Some Die: Part 1” (1990)

 
I wasn’t familiar with Ruth Rendell – when I saw this show in PC’s filmography, I assumed she was the fictional detective at its center.  So imagine my surprise when no women featured prominently in the opening credits!  As it happens, Ruth Rendell is less Poirot/Marple, and more Agatha Christie:  she’s the creator of the stories we’re seeing.
 
“Some Lie and Some Die” is a three-episode story led by Inspector Wexford, a common protagonist in Rendell’s work.  Part 1 begins, as murder mysteries often do, with the discovery of a body.  In this case, it’s a young woman found near the grounds of an outdoor rock festival.  As Wexford starts delving into the case, he realizes that the woman was connected to one of the festival’s headliners.
 
PC plays Zeno Vedast, said headliner.  Zeno is a big ole rock star with legions of fans, piles of money, and what seems to be a supercilious attitude.  He and Dawn, the murdered woman, knew one another before he was famous, and there are hints that their relationship had been rekindled before her death.
 
We haven’t seen much of Zeno so far.  Episode 1 is mainly about the early investigation, setting up the tie between Zeno and Dawn.    I assume he’ll be more involved in the story from here on out, but he’s only in a couple of scenes today, and one of them is a concert scene.
 
Yes – put down The Ruth Rendell Mysteries as another singing PC project.    So far, I think I enjoy his pipes better in Accused and Fortysomething (his “Desperado” in Accused is really lovely,) but he delivers some fine, Bowie-esque vocals here.    Considering the punk career that preceded PC’s acting career, he probably loved getting the chance to play a bona fide rock star.
 
Accent Watch
 
I’m gonna hold off on this.  He hasn’t had any actual dialogue yet – just singing, and it can be hard to judge someone’s accent in a song.  It still bowls me over that Adele is a Londoner.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – Maybe, if you like Masterpiece-style mysteries.  The story is pulling me in.
 
PC-wise – I love watching film/TV actors sing, so I’d recommend it.  Still, it’s a little early to say.  I’ll report further when his character has more to do.
 
Warnings
 
Sexual content and a brief discovering-the-body scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment