"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Nativity: Episode 1 (2010)

 
That’s right; the Tenth Doctor’s comment about being at the first Christmas (“I had the last room”) is truer than you think.  Only a few years before being cast as Twelve, PC appeared in this four-part miniseries of the Christmas story.  With the holiday soon upon us, I figured it was a good time to check it out.
 
Now, having seen the first episode, I’m really enjoying it.  As far as Bible stories go, it has a very human focus.  This episode is mostly set-up – it ends with Mary getting the Big News – introducing the major players.  Mary is a sweet, devout girl preparing to leave childhood for married life.  Joseph isn’t especially accomplished, but he has a good, eager heart.  Three astronomers discover a star that captures their imagination, their hope.  A struggling shepherd wonders whether God cares for the likes of him.
 
PC plays Balthazar, one of the magi.  When he first hears of the strange movement of the stars, he thinks it’s an impossibility, but wisely, he’s quick to accept the evidence before his eyes.  He shifts immediately to trying to convince his fellow scholars of the star’s reality, arguing that they can’t call themselves wise men if they ignore the undeniable.
 
Each of the three main magi has a distinct personality from the other two; I like that.  Balthazar is a well-spoken intellectual, a man of action.  He’s calmer than the young, excitable Gaspar, less somber than the elderly, sage-like Melchior.  Ultimately, he agrees to join the others following the promise of the star.
 
Lots of familiar faces in this one.  Andrew Buchan, who played the father in Broadchurch, is Joseph.  Mary is played by Tatiana Maslany – I’ll admit that I haven’t seen Orphan Black, but I have seen the 47 billion commercials for it on BBC America, so I sometimes feel like I have.  Finally, I’ve seen Frances Barber, who plays Elizabeth, in several roles since her turn as the eye-patched Madame Kovarian in Who, but I still have a hard time trusting her.  The second I hear her voice, my brain goes, “Danger!”
 
Accent Watch
 
A pretty good RP.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – So far, yes.  If you’re interested in Bible stories but think a lot of adaptations seem overly stiff, I think you’d really like this one.
 
PC-wise – Maybe.  PC is doing well in a small but important role.  We’ll see what the coming episodes bring.
 
Warnings
 
A few very tame sexual references – comments about Mary’s virginity and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment