"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, December 9, 2013

Chandler & Co.: Series 1, Episode 1 – “On the Job” (1994)

 
Since my fingers have been half-frozen by the time I scrape off my car windows each morning, I think it is officially Capaldi Winter.  Hence, the facelift.  I'll keep the same tag for consistency's sake, but know that, as a Minnesotan, I am aware of the changing season.  Now, on to your regularly-scheduled review.
 
*     *     *
 
Wow, PC’s had regular roles on a lot of TV shows during his career.  He’s in all six episode of Chandler & Co.’s first season, and after watching the pilot, I’m looking forward to the rest.  I know I’ve watched quite a few crime/mystery shows lately, but this is definitely a good ‘un.
 
Recently divorced Elly Chandler is trying to pick herself back up and find something “just for her,” and she thinks she’s found it; she and her former sister-in-law Dee are starting their own private detective agency.  In “On the Job,” the two women get the new business off the ground with a pair of racy cases, one of which is far more complicated than it seems to be.  They stumble along the way – sometimes humorously, sometimes direly – but they’re also quick studies who learn from their mistakes.  Let’s hear it for the ladies!
 
Helping Elly and Dee is PC’s Larry Blakeson, an experienced private eye who’s tired of the rat race.  Elly’s met him before – he unearthed the infidelity that led to Elly’s divorce – and after some initial doubts, Larry sends them their first case and mentors them throughout; he has a wealth of experience, an unflappable cool, and a large cache of helpful gadgets.
 
I’m really enjoying Larry.  He’s smart and capable, a bit prickly but with a cheeky side that he reveals gradually.  I like his insights into everything from tailing to surveilling.  There seems to be a will-they-won’t-they vibe gearing up with Elly – after an unexpected turn in a case, the two talk love and commiserate.
 
Throughout the episode, I thought the actor playing Dee’s husband looked familiar.  A survey of his IMDb page tells that I’ve seen him with PC before – in Prime Suspect and The Thick of It.  More interestingly, though, I’ve heard him before; he voiced the Face of Boe in the second and third seasons of Who!  How’s about that?
 
Accent Watch
 
Scottish.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – Yes off the bat.  I like Ellie, Dee, and Larry, and the both the cases in this episode were engaging for different reasons.  Some good twists, too!  I look forward to watching Ellie and Dee improve their skills.
 
PC-wise – I think so.  We’re just getting started, but Larry is likable in a detached way.  I’m excited to learn more about him.
 
Warnings
 
Some dark themes and a fair amount of sexual content, including two sex scenes (one is audio-only, and the other is under blankets in low light, so you don’t see anything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment