"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Neverwhere: Episode 5 - “Down Street” (1996)


I really don't want to say too much about this episode.  So many good twists and developments that it'd be criminal to spoil.  I'll just say that the stakes are high, life and death are in the balance, and loyalties come into question.  It’s a good one, people.
 
I've figured out what the set design for London Below reminds me of:  the micmacs' junkyard hideout from Jeunet's Micmacs.  Everything's cobbled out of found objects, trinkets, and trash, but it somehow looks so magical.  I love that.
 
Another brief appearance by Islington – just a tantalizer – but it's a good one, I'd say.
 
Oh, and it's come to my attention that BBC Radio recently produced an audio dramatization of Neverwhere, featuring the likes of James McAvoy, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer, Sophie Okonedo, and Anthony Stewart Head.  And the role of Islington?  Played by Benedict Cumberbatch!  I can't picture that, having seen PC's performance.  Just given what Cumberbatch's voice sounds like, it must be so different.
 
Anyway, what is up with Britain?  That cast is just ridiculous in the sheer amount of awesome crammed into one radio play.  Guess what I'm tracking down later?
 
Plus, Gaiman adapted Neverwhere into a novel, and it’s been done in comic-book form as well.  Goodness gracious – I knew going into Capaldi Fall that I’d have a long viewing list, but no one said anything about a listening/reading list!  I guess I figured out how I’m going to while away the long Who-less months between Christmas and whenever series 8 starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment