"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Neverwhere: Episode 3 - “Earl's Court to Islington” (1996)


(For multi-episode runs like this, I'll throw a different picture up for each entry. Don't want anyone getting too bored!)

Before I begin, let me apologize for the late post today.  I've been locked in a battle of wills with my internet connection, and it was proving infuriatingly tenacious.  With that out of the way, I return you to your regularly scheduled Capaldi Fall.

Well, another episode, another glimpse – I kid you not. As you might have guessed from the title, this episode's main plot sees Door journeying across London Below to find Islington. The buildup is excellent; even if I wasn't a fan of the actor playing him, I'd be mad curious about him by now. As it is, I can't wait to see what he's about and how he can help Door and Richard.

And really, it's hard to complain, despite the scant use of PC. I'm really digging Neverwhere. I like the way it casts a mythic light on London locales. I've caught a few references – Earl's Court, Old Bailey – but ignorant American that I am, I'm sure there are plenty more that I didn't catch. Also, the set/costume design is really something; Islington's hangout, for example, is gorgeous.

Not to mention, there are some fantastic characters and cracking dialogue. Richard and Door both make likable leads, and the Marquis de Carabas, a slippery associate of Door's, is clearly something special. On the antagonistic side, the brothers Croup and Vandemar are a macabre hoot. 

All of the above just makes me even more excited to see what PC gets to do in Gaiman's hands. Bring on episode 4!

Accent Watch

I reserve the right to amend this (he's only had a couple lines,) but it sounds like RP to me.

Warnings

Add some animal cruelty to the warnings for Neverwhere – Mr. Vandemar has a twisted idea of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment