"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Y tu Luna también: Frida (2002, R)

Unfortunately, Diego Luna has been in a number of films prominently involving problematic people…and “problematic” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about them with these reviews. It really bums me out that he was in a Woody Allen movie in 2019, and I can’t see myself watching A Rainy Day in New York, but I know that I won’t have a consistent stance on this. I debated over whether I wanted to watch Frida—apart from the mere fact that Harvey Weinstein produced it, we’ve specifically learned how he tormented Salma Hayek over the course of making it. But at the same time, I knew how much Hayek believed in this film and how badly she wanted to bring it to the public. In the end, I decided I wanted to see it at least once.

From the day they meet, Frida Kahlo’s life is entwined with Diego Rivera. Although she’s a young student and he’s already a famous painter, they catch one another’s eye and find their way to a tempestuous relationship. Amid career triumphs and stumbles on both sides, affairs, arguments, and Frida’s ongoing issues with chronic pain, the two of them create art for the ages.

On the positive side, this film is directed by Julie Taymor, of The-Lion-King-on-Broadway fame, and she brings her sense of theatrical flourish to the proceedings. As such, what could’ve been a run-of-the-mill biopic is peppered with artistic touches that cut to the emotion of the story and give the film a stronger visual flair. And in a film about a revolutionary artist, isn’t that what you want?

I’ll admit that I don’t know a ton about Frida Kahlo, and I can’t speak to how much of the film is accurate beyond the absolute basics. I enjoy watching Frida’s story unfold: the pain that gives her such a profound perspective on her body, the roller coaster of her relationship with Diego, and the political and artistic circles they move in. However, watching the film, I couldn’t shake the feeling that it wasn’t as squarely centered on Frida as I wanted it to be. Diego looms very large in the film—understandable, since he was such a major part of Frida’s life, but it often feels like her story is being told in service of his, rather than the other way around. And in a movie called Frida, that’s not ideal.

I couldn’t keep thoughts of Weinstein from intruding on my viewing at times, and that aspect is something that makes me wonder about his influence. Beyond his horrible treatment of Hayek and the prurient scenes he shoehorned in purely for his own gratification, did he have sway that gave Frida less of a voice in her own biopic? That’s just one more fallout effect of these sexual predators in Hollywood—it colors everything they’ve worked on.

Hayek is excellent in the role, fierce and enigmatic, passionate and wretched, ingenious and sly. I wish this filming experience could have been less traumatic for her, and I wish I could’ve seen even more of her Frida. Alfred Molina does well as the talented but temperamental Diego Rivera, although seeing Spanish actors cast as Latino characters always gives me pause (Antonio Banderas also appears in a small role.) Additionally, the film features Geoffrey Rush (another problematic figure) as Leon Trotsky and a brief appearance from Roger Rees, who I’ll always appreciate for A Man of No Importance.

When it comes to Diego Luna, there’s not much to say. His first scene involves his character kissing Frida Kahlo and he’s not playing Diego Rivera, so that gives you a hint of his overall relevance to the story. He plays Alex, a lover of Frida’s when they’re both students. He’s mostly there to be young and sexy, which he accomplishes well, and to not be as there as Frida needs him to be after the crippling injuries she endures in a bus crash.

In essence, they’re young and happy until they’re not, and then he disappears from the film, never to be seen again. Luna gets the job done, but there isn’t a lot for him to work with here.

Recommend?

In General – Iffy. It’s pretty well made, but for me, the real-life controversies made it hard for me to really settle in and take it at face value.

Diego Luna – Not a must. This is a small role and, again, in light of the larger outside issues with the film, not necessarily worth it.

Warnings

Sexual content, violence, language, drinking/smoking, thematic elements, and involvement from accused sexual predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment