"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, January 7, 2022

Encanto (2021, PG)

This is a movie that I definitely would’ve seen opening weekend if it weren’t for the pandemic, but as it was, I waited for the streaming release and saw it over the holidays with my family. I’m glad I had a little time to mull the film over before writing my review, because it wound up being a bit of a Rogue One situation for me. While I was watching, my reaction was mostly “pretty good,” but as I’ve been thinking about it over the last week or so, I’ve realized I like it more and more.

In the heart of Colombia, the amazing Madrigals live in their fantastic Casita, a house blessed with magic that blesses each of them in turn with their own magical gift. All except Mirabel, who never received one. She’s tried to claim her own space within her incredible family, but it’s difficult for her, especially when it’s clear that the family matriarch, her abuela, thinks less of her. On the day her youngest cousin receives his gift, Mirabel sees ominous cracks appearing throughout Casita, and she fears that their home – and the magic – is in danger of fracturing. Armed with her smarts, determination, and love for her family, Mirabel takes it upon herself to investigate the cracks and protect their home.

There’s so much about this film that’s so lovely. We’ll start with the animation, which is positively gorgeous. Explosions of color abound and the detailing is exquisite—I swear I can see every hair on Mirabel’s head. Many of the song sequences are done very fantastically, which gives the animators even more license to go wild.

Speaking of the songs, Lin-Manuel Miranda is having quite the year. I thoroughly enjoyed In the Heights and adored tick, tick…BOOM!, and now this film has given me a brand-new score of his to love. To my ear, the songs here aren’t as immediately accessible as those in some of his other works, but I’ve listened to them more since then, and like the film itself, they seem to get better every time. I especially love “Surface Pressure,” the ridiculously-catchy but deeply-heartbreaking solo sung by Mirabel’s super-strong sister Luisa, the excellently-crafted “We Don’t Talk about Bruno” (about the prophesying Madrigal uncle who disappeared,) and the stunning, searing finale “All of You.” There will definitely be more to say about the music in later posts.

Mirabel is a wonderfully-rootable heroine, a girl who’s fighting not to see herself as regrettably ordinary, someone without powers who rolls up her sleeves to get the job done anyway. I really like watching her struggle and fumble but not give up, seeing her give so much of herself to prove what she’s capable of. The big, bustling Madrigal family makes for a crowded Casita and, on the surface, an overpacked film, but I think the film does a good job of giving us varying levels of shading and depth on the different family members while still keeping the story anchored on Mirabel’s journey. The Madrigals bring fun and humor, but also conflict and heartbreak. There are some patented Disney-tearjerker moments that are as compelling as anything the studio has offered in recent years.

Stephanie Beatriz is excellent as Mirabel, by turns delightful and deeply emotional, and she sings very well. Personally, I love that she’s an alto, because it means her songs are comfortably within my range. The film also features voice-acting from Diane Guerrero (Maritza from Orange is the New Black,) an excellent John Leguizamo, and Wilmer Valderrama (Fez—that takes me back,) and Olga Merediz (Abuela Claudia from In the Heights) provides Abuela’s singing voice—Miranda has to get one of his alums in the film somehow! I’m not familiar with Jessica Darrow, but I really love her as Luisa, and the rest of the cast delivers strong performances as well.

Warnings

Scary moments for kids, implied violence, some “don’t try this at home,” and thematic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment