"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Top Five Doctor Who Magazine Comic Stories: The Eleventh Doctor

Eleven has some great stories in Doctor Who Magazine. I like his big arcs, and he has some good one-offs too. Personally, I wish his run had more stories featuring Rory, but the Clara era features some fine, creative storytelling (rather like Eleven’s IDW stories, as I mentioned in that post.) Picking my favorites!

 

“The Child of Time”

Okay, what’s not to love about doppelgänger robots, timey-wimeyness, and Alan Turing? The climax of Eleven’s first run of stories, “The Child of Time” pulls in neat elements of the stories that came before it and brings everything to a head in a cool, epic way. Also, the TARDIS is involved as more than just a means of transport, and if you still need convincing, I have two words for you: Badass. BrontĂ«s. Need I say more?

 

“The Broken Man”

I do enjoy a good adventure through recent history. Set in 1989, this story finds the Doctor, Amy, and Rory fighting a Golem amid the student protests in Prague. We have spies, legends, clandestine rendezvouses in a graveyard, and more! I really like the artwork for the Mavora, and the backstory on the Golem is excellent. Also, this might be a weird observation, but I always enjoy seeing how the Doctor responds to an interrogation.

 

“Hunters of the Burning Stone”

This story, released during Who’s 50th anniversary year, slotted in between the Amy/Rory and Clara eras on the show. Doctor Who Magazine was kicking off a huge anniversary year without a major TV companion. So, what to do? Go back where it all started. The Doctor’s investigation into the psychic metal that’s been cropping up throughout his latest run of stories leads him to two people he didn’t expect to see again: Ian and Barbara. With two of his earliest companions at his side, the Doctor digs into the origins of the psychic metal and fights to keep it out of the hands of a mysterious band of hunters. As with so much of the Who material released during 2013, this story brings all the nostalgia feels, wrapping itself around you like a warm sci-fi blanket.

 

“A Wing and a Prayer”

Cool celebrity historical. I’ll admit to not having heard of Amy Johnson before I read this story, but I was definitely a fan afterwards. The Doctor and Clara meeting badass lady pilots in history for the win! I like the artwork on the sand people (and I’m not talking Tusken Raiders here,) and I enjoy the Baghdad setting – not enough Who TV stories take place outside of Europe or the U.S., so I always appreciate it when the ancillary stories branch out a bit more. I also like Clara wrestling with her conflicted feelings about knowing Amy Johnson’s future.

 

“The Blood of Azrael”

Eleven’s last comic story. I really like the necrotists as a sci-fi concept, so I always like stories involving them. Here, the Doctor and Clara investigate rumors of the return of Azrael, an infamous necrotist who’s long dead himself, and there’s more horrifying artwork than you can shake a stick at. The story’s set in Cornucopia, which I also love, and it involves a number of familiar faces. Plus, like “The Child of Time,” we see an important role for the TARDIS – even before you factor in “The Doctor’s Wife,” Eleven’s relationship with the TARDIS often feels more prominent than that of most Doctors, so it’s only fitting that the climactic stories of multiple comic arcs for him would hinge so crucially on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment