"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, June 26, 2020

A Little TLC(w): Europe Raiders (2018)


I recognize that there are definite diminishing returns in the _______ Raiders franchise, but I do continue to enjoy them, even if Tokyo Raiders is clearly the best one. Though the third film jumps back in quite a few years later, it’s still up to a number of the same old tricks.

When the doomsday computer program known as the Hand of God (because of course it is) is stolen out from under the CIA, two globe-trotting Hong Kong-based investigators are tasked with finding it. One, naturally, is our old friend Lin (who I’m now remembering was called Lam in Seoul Raiders? Gotta love those subtitle shenanigans.) The other is Ms. Wang, Lin’s old flame and current professional rival. The thieving hacker Sophie holds the Hand of God ransom, demanding her brother Rocky’s release from prison in exchange, but Lin hopes to instead enlist Rocky to help him bring Sophie in.

I’ll admit, I got a little behind on my A Little TLC(w) write-ups, so this movie isn’t as fresh in my head as a film normally is when I write a review. However, while I did still enjoy myself watching this movie, I did find it a little less entertaining than its predecessors. There’s still good fun actions sequences, Lin is still a smooth operator with dozens of tricks up his sleeve, and I like the dynamic of bringing Rocky and Sophie into the mix, but it isn’t quite as wild-and-audacious-in-a-good-way for me as the films that came before it.

Wang is probably my least favorite female lead to date in a _________ Raiders film. I wouldn’t say she’s bad, but I definitely enjoyed Macy in Tokyo and J.J. in Seoul more. Here, I think Wang gets a little bogged down by lots of backstory with Lin that doesn’t particularly serve the story.

I won’t turn down a repeated performance from Tony Leung Chiu-wai as Lin, although, again, I recognize the diminishing returns. While he still brings the charm, the comedy, and the fisticuffs, there’s a slight by-the-numbers feel to the performance, a sense that this is more of the same and his heart maybe isn’t in it as much.

He does speak a decent amount of English, though, since he’s roped into this mission by the Americans. For whatever reason, I always like to hear Leung speaking English (I think it’s partly because I’m not super familiar with Hong Kong-accented English, so I just think it’s cool to hear,) and it has me even more eager for Leung to make his Hollywood debut in Shang-Chi.

Recommend?

In General – Maybe. Even though I’d rank it below Tokyo Raiders and Seoul Raiders, it’s still some good, mindless action/comedy fun.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai – Again, maybe. Leung’s performance as Lin in the first two movies is definitely superior, but if you liked him there, you’ll probably still have a good time watching him here.

Warnings

Violence, sexual content/references, drinking, and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment