"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Spoilery Thoughts On Avengers: Endgame

Says it in the title, people.  Full and complete spoilage ahead.  Don’t read if you don’t want to know.

Writing my Endgame review posed a challenge, because there was so little I could actually say.  It was a lot like writing up a Doctor Who season finale, only with the knowledge that it was the culmination of 10+ years of stories, so the no-spoilers stakes were even higher than usual.  As such, while I did take the liberty to say I liked it, I couldn’t say much of anything about what “it” in fact was.  So today, with the (again) full and complete spoilage ahead, I’m making it a little easier to say whatever I want.

We’ll start with my issues.  Some of the time-travel business gets a little haphazard, and it feels like the rules they set up for it aren’t all that consistent (I still haven’t gotten my head around how Nebula kills her younger self.)  Also, there are definitely moments where the story feels steered in such a way to make things happen the way the production team wants, which can make certain developments feel kind of manufactured (case in point, my dear Natasha and the Soul Stone – I admit that, as much as I hate to lose her, I’m glad that it’s her choice, but I still feel that her and Clint being the ones to end up on Vormir in the first place is fairly forced.  And come on, guys, you already fridged an important female character in the last movie!  Did you really need to take Widow too?)  Finally, I don’t think the film on the whole strikes the right note with Thor.  I completely understand him falling apart from his guilt after Infinity War, and the movie brings his story home when it really counts, but it feels uncomfortable to mine so many cheap laughs from Thor being fat and drunk when both are so rooted in his intense trauma and misplaced guilt.

The issues aren’t what have really stuck with me, though.  While I recognize they’re there, I pay way more attention to the way my heart grows three sizes for basically the whole duration of the movie because of all the meaningful moments and impactful scenes.  That time-travel confusion doesn’t matter as much to me when it’s our vehicle to revisit so many familiar scenes and characters from the franchise’s history (the Battle of New York!  Thor and Frigga, my heart!  Peter Quill dancing as he collects the Power Stone!  All that and so, so much more!)  Each of these, over and over, feels like a thank-you to the fans for loving these characters and following them across franchises, ever since Tony Stark first created the Iron Man suit.

While I of course would’ve loved to see the dusted characters return sooner, along with more Carol Danvers(!), keeping the main story a little tighter is, I think, the right call.  We need time to make our goodbyes to the original six, and this is the first team-up film that really gives prominent space to all of them.  Yes, Tony and Steve still have the biggest storylines, but Natasha, Thor, Bruce, and Clint all have a lot to go through as well – really, I wouldn’t say any of them get shortchanged, even if I still think there are too many Fat Thor jokes.  And the additions to the core team are well-chosen.  Obviously, Scott’s Quantum Realm connection is vital to the “time heist” resolution, and it also just helps so much that, having been in the Quantum Realm when the Snap happens, he joins the team with a lot more freshness and optimism, valuable to people who’ve been ground down for the last five years.  And I’m really happy to see so much Nebula – it makes total sense, of course, but going in, I knew there was gonna be a ton going on in this movie and was worried that there wouldn’t be much room for her.  But she’s integrated into the group as she should be, considering the strong personal stakes for her.  Rocket represents the Guardians well, and although Rhodey doesn’t have quite as well-definied a role (other than being the one person of color on the team?), I’m glad he’s there.  I had no idea that Rhodey and Nebula bonding scenes were something I needed!

The climactic fight is just everything, really all the things.  I love seeing Thor find his strength again.  Of course Steve is worthy of lifting Mjolnir (we all knew it!), and that moment is every bit as awesome as it ought to be.  And when the dusted characters return… boy howdy.  Considering just how many characters are packed into the final battle with Thanos and his army, the movie does a splendid job giving basically everybody standout moments while still including important character beats!  It’s pretty much a straight fangasm from start to finish.

As for the ending, again, time-travel head-scratching, but emotionally, I’m okay with how it shakes out.  Between Tony having an adorable daughter and getting one last moment with Howard in the past, it’s not too much of a surprise that he winds up being the one to sacrifice himself in the end.  And even though he would obviously have preferred a different outcome, I like that he seems mostly at peace in making the choice, and that Pepper is there at the end to tell him he can rest (okay, so I for-sure cried in the theater, and I teared up again just writing that sentence now.)  And while I’m sad that Steve and Bucky will never have that time together again, I understand Steve’s decision to stay in the past with Peggy after returning all the Stones (and yeah, I cried) – after all that Steve’s given, he deserves whatever he wants.  It seems like Bucky knows what’s about to happen, and I like Steve passing the shield and the title onto Sam.  One thing’s for sure:  I’m now even more pumped for the Sam-Bucky series on Disney+.  (Also, Thor as a Guardian now?  Yes, please!)

Because of course, it keeps going.  I’m sure the MCU will be in good hands with our new heroes, but if the ones who started it all had to move on, I’m glad they got to go out in such a memorable way, with this heartfelt film celebrating all they’ve been to us over the last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment