"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, March 15, 2019

The Monkees Live Performance – March 14th, 2019


Okay, so while I was nostalgically Googling after Peter Tork’s death, their ad algorithms noticed the theme in my searches and threw up a banner ad with a little “oh BTW, Mike Nesmith and Micky Dolenz are going to be performing in the Cities about three weeks from now.”  One night only.  A week night, but one that happened to fall during my spring break (I work for a school district.)  Nearly sold out, with the last few rows still having some seats available.  Clearly, that’s meant to be, right?

I know that various permutations of the Monkees have toured on and off over the years, but I’d never seen any of them live, even though I felt a little wistful about that fact after Davy Jones died.  That feeling increased when Peter Tork died, so when I stumbled across this ad for the two living Monkees playing close to me so soon after, I realized that, if I ever want to see any of them, I’d better do it now.  I bought tickets, not knowing entirely what to expect, and I arrived at the show last night curious but excited.

On the whole?  Pretty fab.  Mike and Micky, backed by a good-sized band, must have played at least thirty songs over the course of two-and-a-half hours (minus intermission.)  Considering they’re both in their 70s, I was damn impressed by how well they brought it.  True, they both played rhythm guitar and left the heavier lifting to the younger musicians behind them, and true, Micky adjusted some of his high notes and Mike couldn’t always hold them as long as he used to.  They also performed strategically, putting an intermission in the middle and occasionally taking turns on short breaks offstage while the other was singing lead.  But they were terrific.  Micky was still a natural showman with oodles of energy, he spat out every single word of “Goin’ Down” (after which he applauded the ASL interpreter sitting beside the stage, which I thought was sweet,) and he went for – and made – the high notes when it really counted.  Meanwhile, Mike’s singing sounded practically identical, which wowed me, and he added a calming presence with a side of wry humor.  I cracked up at the running gag that, whenever he’d come out from offstage, he’d be plucking out the opening lick to “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” no matter what song was next on the docket (“No, Mike, not yet,” Micky would scold.  “No, Mike, we already did that one.”

Other than their theme song, all the biggest hits were present, including “Last Train to Clarksville,” “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone,” “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” and, of course, “I’m a Believer” for their big finale.  They also included a pair of songs from Head (deep pull – Micky asked who’d seen it, then asked who could explain what it was about,) “Porpoise Song” and “Circle Sky,” both accompanied by old footage from the movie.  Lots of Mike Nesmith’s songs, which made me happy, including those sung by him, like “Sweet Young Thing,” “You Just May Be the One,” and “Listen to the Band” (which kicked off the encore,) and those sung by Micky, like “Mary, Mary” and “The Girl I Know Somewhere.”  Other highlights included “Take a Giant Step” and “What Am I Doin’ Hanging ‘Round?”

Obviously, we couldn’t get through the night without some tributes, all of which were lovely.  Early in the show, Micky highlighted their banjo player and noted that it was Peter who introduced the banjo to the Monkees’ music, and possibly to pop music in general.  He sang “For Pete’s Sake,” which Peter wrote (he was such a hippie – bless him,) and the intermission began with a short video of Peter, recorded sometime in recent years, performing a beautiful little song called “Till Then” – his guitar playing was still wonderful.  Then, during the second set, Micky sang “Daydream Believer” while the old footage of the guys performing the song on The Monkees played on the screen.  That one wound up being a twofer; Davy, of course, was front and center, but that video also featured Peter prominently on the piano, and it was especially touching to watch the two of them together while Mike and Micky stayed more in the background.

All together, a great concert.  I’m really glad I listened to the voices of fate conspiring to get me there, because it was a special night that will stick with me.  It must be a heady experience to know that there are still strangers who love and celebrate you for something you created more than 50 years ago, including some (like me) who weren’t born until long after that.  I’m very happy that I got to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment