"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

21 Chump Street: Songs 1-5


This is Lin-Manuel Miranda’s mini side-musical, a nifty little one-act written for This American Life.  It stars Anthony Ramos (John Laurens in Hamilton) and features one terrific song in “What the Heck I Gotta Do”, along with a few other pretty decent numbers.  While it’s definitely my least favorite of Miranda’s musicals, it’s still awfully good when you consider it was likely banged out during his free time while writing Hamilton (spoilers.)

“What the Heck I Gotta Do” – What a fun, affable song introducing us to Justin and his massive crush on Naomi (who, unbeknownst to him, isn’t a new student but an undercover narcotics officer.)  Justin’s puppyish enthusiasm for everything Naomi is infectious, and the simple but catchy melody complements that perfectly.

Best lyric:  “She was a light-skinneded Puerto Rican-Dominican - / Long hair, mature in the body like whoa!”

“One School” – Here, we meet the real “Naomi,” musing on the difficulties and overall head trip of her job.  I like the care taken here.  She believes in what she’s doing and the importance of making kids safer through enforcing drug laws, but she also can’t just skim the surface of it, avoiding getting pulled into the teenage drama and caring about some of the students she may end up putting away.

Best lyric:  “What’s the hardest part?” – “Pssh – the cafeteria. / Imagine hundreds of teenagers yelling / And running full speed. / And the lack of deodorant. / Let’s just say / I would drink at the end of the day.”

“Cousin” – Quick little ditty as Justin tries to figure out how to get some weed for Naomi, not being the type of guy to do that sort of thing.  Not much to write home about here – the hook is amusing, and I like the image of a massive network of cousins who know guys who know guys.

Best lyric:  “Everybody’s got a cousin who can hook them up with something.”

“The Money” – The climax of this very short show, as Justin gives Naomi the weed he thinks she wants, sealing his fate.  I like the way the emotions build, and the vocal layering is great; the snatch of “What the Heck I Gotta Do” woven in there is good, too.

Best lyric:  “I don’t want your money. / I got this just for you. / Keep your money. / There’s nothing I won’t do for you. / I’ll come through for you / Every time - / Just in time.”

“Epilogue” – Less song, more plot, as we wrap up the story and look at some of the challenging questions it raises.  Even in a quick little show like this, Miranda brings back lines/melodies from earlier songs in different contexts, bringing it home nicely.

Best lyric:  “Seriously, these kids need to learn / There are consequences in life. / I am doing my job. / I am doing it right. / I am making life safer / One school at a time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment