"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

2019 Oscars: Picks


The usual note – these are my picks, not my predictions.  In the categories I focus on, there was only one film I didn’t get a chance to see (Never Look Away) and one I chose not to see (Green Book,) so I had a chance to get to almost everything.  Some strong categories this year.

Best Picture:  BlacKkKlansman – Honestly, it was between this one and Black Panther for me, and I was strongly tempted by Black Panther (I’m positive it’s not going to win, but that’s not the point of this post.)  The care, creativity, and passion that went into that movie is off the scale, I love the story, and the whole cast is incredible.  But in the end, I think BlacKkKlansman is a bit stronger on the whole, and I think, once Ryan Coogler has a second Black Panther movie under his belt, he might get there.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Green Book.)

Best Leading Actor:  Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody) – You’ll find I agree with most of the acting frontrunners this year.  The contenders are strong all-around here, and Christian Bale is every bit as excellent as you’d expect him to be in Vice, but Rami Malek had the edge for me.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Viggo Mortensen in Green Book.)

Best Leading Actress:  Glenn Glose (The Wife) – This category is painful, because it’s full of such strong performances, but I’ve got to go with the general consensus on this one.  Close is just phenomenal in The Wife, and I’m still thinking about all she brought to that movie.

Best Supporting Actor:  Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)Can’t go with the prevailing opinion here, since Mahershala Ali’s was the one performance in this category that I didn’t see.  I debated hard between Adam Driver and Richard E. Grant in Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but I think Driver has the more challenging role of the two, and he pulls it off expertly; I wish John David Washington had been nominated for Leading Actor, so both guys from this film could’ve gotten some recognition.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Mahershala Ali in Green Book.)

Best Supporting Actress:  Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk) – My other main contender here was Rachel Weisz in The Favourite, but I’ve gotta give it to Regina King.  Really wonderful performance in a beautiful film.

Best Director:  BlacKkKlansman – Yep, this is Spike Lee’s for me.  He directs with such style and flair, he brings both tension and humor, and the look of the film is amazing.  Slam dunk.

Best Original Screenplay:  Vice – I know it’s not for everyone, but Adam McKay’s quirks work for me.  I wouldn’t have thought to do such an unconventional biopic for someone like Dick Cheney, but I thought the way they did it was really inventive and effective.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Green Book.)

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Can You Ever Forgive Me? – Yikes, this was a tough one.  I also really loved BlacKkKlansman and If Beale Street Could Talk, but I think this one is the best at what it sets out to do.  A really solid film that flows perfectly, imbuing unlikable characters with sympathy and turning out a fascinating yarn.  Kudos to Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty.

Best Cinematography:  Roma – Alfonso Cuarón knows his way around camera work, that’s for sure.  The way he sets up his shots is just gorgeous.  I’m still bummed that If Beale Street Could Talk didn’t get nominated here, but Cuarón’s work is impeccable.

1 comment:

  1. From a bunch-less ceremony to arguable nominees, right here's what to expect at ... Here's Everything You Need to Know About the 2019 Oscars.

    ReplyDelete