"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Torchwood: Series 2, Episode 1 – “Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang” (2007)


As I’ve said before, the series 2 premiere of Torchwood was the first episode of the series that captured some of what I expected the show to be going in, qualities that too often eluded it in practice throughout series 1.  This, though, kicks off series 2 with a bang (bang!), delivering fun, adventure, and omnisexual time agents doing what they do best.

Since Jack’s short crossover back to Who after the end of its third season, the crew back at Torchwood have been learning how to find their own footing without the help of their intrepid leader, and they’re not quite sure how to readjust when he suddenly reappears.  However, there’s not a lot of time to deal with that, as the episode also features the sudden appearance of Captain John Hart, a charming rogue from Jack’s past.  John shows up asking for help to locate some nasty high-tech bombs that have been lost somewhere in Cardiff, but Jack instantly expects the promise of trouble.

Everything about this episode is immediately more Torchwood than the show has ever been (and really, while I found series 2 an improvement over series 1 on the whole, I don’t think any later episode of the show fully captures the feel of this one.)  It’s dangerous, it’s stylish, it’s fast, it’s funny, and most of all, it’s sexy.  Sure, that may feel like odd praise from an asexual, but the point stands.  I’d always felt in my bones that sexy sci-fi romps were what Torchwood was for, and this episode finally gave me one.

Much of that is down to Captain John Hart (wonderfully played by James Marsters, who successfully keeps me from thinking about Spike even though both are charismatic baddies with British accents.)  The moment he enters the scene – walking out of a Rift storm like an absolute boss – he brings that 51st-century sensibility.  The swagger, the allure that pulls people in despite the sense of danger about him, and of course, that glorious omnisexuality that relishes in attraction by the handful.  What’s more, John brings these out in Jack as well.  I love that, when Jack finds him, they both brawl and kiss, and I love seeing how protective Jack gets of his team as soon as he realize John wants to involve them in his business.

Speaking of the rest of the team, I mostly like all of them here as well.  It’s fun to watch them making it on their own, and I like their varied reactions to Jack’s return.  There’s also the start of a soft reboot on Owen’s character, as well as John’s presence making Ianto more proactive in determining the nature of this thing between him and Jack.

Not that it’s all perfect.  There’s some definite sloppiness, Torchwood again does a fine job of making me worry that this is the crew protecting Earth from space/time threats (thank goodness Sarah Jane and co. are holding down the fort in Ealing,) and the resolution to the climax features some highly-dubious logic.  Still, I appreciate it so much for the way it matches my vision of what I always hoped Torchwood would be that I don’t mind its flaws.  Without a doubt, Torchwood at its most Torchwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment