"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Aladdin (1992, G)


This is the first Disney movie that I specifically remember seeing in the theaters and later, on VHS, watching over and over again.  As kids, my brothers and I could recite massive chunks of this film word-for-word (even if we fudged it a little when Robin Williams used words we didn’t know, a la “combination ‘hookerran’ coffee maker, also makes ‘Julie Anne’ fries!”)  Watching it again, it’s still a rollicking good time, and I notice things I’d forgotten, as well as things I didn’t pick up on as a kid.

Aladdin, a poor “street rat” in Agrabrah, dreams of a better life for himself and his monkey friend Abu.  Little does he know, he’s actually the fabled “diamond in the rough,” the only person who can enter the mystical Cave of Wonders and retrieve the magical Genie’s lamp.  Aladdin releases the Genie by accident and finds himself the proud owner of three wishes.  Having fallen in love with the princess Jasmine, Aladdin hopes his newfound magical friend can make him into the kind of man Jasmine could love, but he has to be careful:  Jafar, the sultan’s evil vizier, has plans for both Jasmine and the lamp.

I’ll get the unfortunate stuff out of the way first.  The film could definitely do a better job with its portrayal of a fictional Middle Eastern kingdom.  While I think a lot of it is more ignorant carelessness than active maliciousness, it’s still uncool to have lines like, “It’s barbaric, but hey – it’s home!”, or have references to thieves getting their hands cut off without being as intentional to include more positive details of Agrabrah society.  Hopefully, the live-action remake, whenever that comes along, can do a better job in this regard.

But I do love this movie.  There are few instances of an actor and a character coming together more perfectly than Robin Williams playing the Genie, Alan Menken’s songs are killer – “A Whole New World” gets most of the attention, but I also love “One Jump Ahead,” and both of the Genie’s songs are fabulous – and just in general, the film combines exciting action, fast and funny dialogue, great sight gags, and engaging characters.  I’ve always enjoyed Aladdin, who makes for a believably-flawed and hugely-likable hero, and rewatching the film reminded me how great Jasmine is.  I’d remembered the whole “I am not a prize to be won!” thing, but I’d forgotten her being such a smart cookie – I love the scene where Aladdin comes to her rescue in the marketplace and she seamlessly plays along as he talks them both out of trouble.  Scott Weinger and Linda Larkin do fine work voicing the characters, and Brad Kane and Lea Salonga fill in beautifully as Aladdin and Jasmine’s singing voices.  (Voice credit also has to be given to Jonathan Freeman, who makes for a slimy, malevolent Jafar.)

And not for nothing, the sidekick game in this movie is on-point.  The Genie, of course, is iconic, but the baddie gets his own talking sidekick in the form of Iago, and then there’s also Abu, Rajah, and the Magic Carpet!  Each is by turns awesome, funny, and memorable.

Warnings

Scary moments for kids, cartoon violence, and some racial insensitivity.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite Disney movies in the 90s. I could watch it on a loop. Now most of the jokes haven't aged well but it's still fun to watch

    ReplyDelete