"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, June 7, 2018

A Few Thoughts on Andrew Rannells

In recent months, I’ve done numerous Falsettos posts based on my full-blown love for the revival from 2016, and I’ve also made mention in a few places of my Falsettos-induced Andrew Rannells kick.  While, like many, I was first introduced to Rannells through The Book of Mormon – his show-stopping Tony performance that year blew me clean away – it wasn’t until I got the Falsettos cast recording that he really became one of “my” actors.  As usual, I realized it was moving into platonic-crush territory around the time I started trolling YouTube for his late-night interviews (which are amazing.)  Since his habit of more often than not serving as a replacement in Broadway shows means that professional records of his theatre work are pretty thin on the ground, I instead turned to his film and television career.

As I soaked up what I could get of Rannells’s film- and discography, I encountered periodic observations in various online corners about him being limited as a performer.  I saw a number of complaints that he always plays the same character, and more particularly, that he always plays himself.  And to be fair, it’s an understandable claim to make – Bryan from The New Normal, Elijah from Girls, and Matthew from Big Mouth, to name a few prominent examples, are all fabulous, feminine-coded gay characters with a self-centered streak and a flair for witty remarks, and their voices and mannerisms have a lot in common with the way Rannells carries himself in many of his personal appearances.

But does that make him limited?  I think there are many different facets to acting.  There are more transformative performances, where an actor adopts a different accent, carriage, tone of voice, etc. to inhabit someone totally unlike themselves (think Tatiana Maslany or Gary Oldman.)  And that is a skill that some have and others don’t, but it’s also a matter of opportunity and expectation – Emily Blunt once remarked that the reason people keep suggesting the same 4-5 actresses for action roles is because people can’t picture a woman in an action film until they see her do it, meaning that, without greater imagination, we develop a very limited pool based on what we assume they’re capable of.  Acting-wise, I’ve experienced that myself, as I wrote up a while back on actors I had to reevaluate after I finally saw them take on a role that they could sink their teeth into.  It would hardly surprise me if Rannells, an out actor in a Hollywood that’s afraid of “risks,” hasn’t had much chance to show off the variety of roles he can play.

All that said, there are also plenty of actors who frequently play variations on the same type, but people still love them.  I mean, you see Jeff Goldblum and you pretty much know you’re gonna get Jess Goldblum, but there aren’t too many complaints about that.  Why?  First, because charisma and presence can’t be counted out, and second, because another important part of acting is conveying the emotion of the character, regardless of how like or unlike they are to the actor.  And that’s a talent Rannells has in spades.  He has both an impeccable sense of comic timing and a well-honed ability to portray emotion, on stage as well as on screen (different media require different skills, and not every actor is well-suited to each setting.)  Looking through Rannells’s work, I’ve been consistently reminded of the breadth of his talent.

Furthermore, I really appreciate that he’s a gay actor who seems to celebrate playing mostly gay characters.  He’s dismissed concerns about being stereotyped or pigeonholed in Hollywood, arguing that these “worries” suggest there’s only one type of gay character to play.  But Rannells welcomes the chance to play many of them, and even if many have similar mannerisms, that hardly means they’re the same character – again, take a look at Bryan, Elijah, and Matthew for examples of that.

To sum up, two points:  First, Andrew Rannells can do a lot more than he’s sometimes given credit for.  Second, it’s time for a new actor review project.  I realize that my plate is still occupied with Jodie Whittaker and poor Tony Leung Chiu-wai (the reason I go so slowly with him is because his stuff can be harder to find in the States, and I need more time to get my hands on it,) but I had to make a little room for Rannells.  Even though, at this point, I’ve already gone through a lot of his major works, I like them enough that I want to go through them again with full write-ups, coming to you under the title The Book of Rannells (an easy reference maybe, but one I’m okay with.)

This won’t be quite the same as my previous/current actor reviews.  Since most of Rannells’s stuff is pretty easily accessible (quite a bit is available online,) there’s not as much need to bounce around to things as I can get them, so I’ll try to post write-ups mostly in chronological order, which I think could be interesting.  However, I’ve not going to try and review everything.  Rannells spent years working mainly as a voice actor before he really started finding success, so he has tons of animated credits in his filmography.  There are some points of interest here – he’s played both Alexander Hamilton and Archie Andrews – but overall, I’m not going to dig into all that.  Instead, I’m going to be starting next week with The Book of Mormon and working my way forward, so the only voiceover work I’m including will come after that.

(Note:  the play he’s currently in, The Boys in the Band, will be eagerly reviewed out of chronological order, since I have the good fortune to be seeing it on Broadway at the end of this month.  So pumped!)

No comments:

Post a Comment