"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, April 16, 2018

Countdown to Thirteen: Broadchurch: Series 3, Episode 8 (2017)


Last episode of the season, and the last of the series as a whole.  Despite some notes of finality here and there, it doesn’t really feel like a series finale, certainly not more than the end of any other season.  The resolution to the mystery, in my opinion, leaves something to be desired.  Overall, while I wouldn’t say the series goes out with a whimper, I don’t find it altogether satisfying.

Right up to the end, the evidence seems to point in different directions, but Hardy and Ellie eventually get there and uncover who raped Trish.  As with series 2, the answer is a little less clear-cut than anticipated.  Beth and Mark have a reckoning over what’s been going on between them this season.

Some good police work, especially from Ellie.  It seems she’s often the one to make those last deductions or find the last connections needed to solve the case, and that happens here as well.  But – no spoilers – I’m not really a fan of how it shakes out this time.  There’s something about it that doesn’t quite work for me.  I dunno; the best non-spoilery way I can think to describe it is that it’s trying to have it both ways, and I don’t really like that.

As for Beth, she again has some pretty good scenes with Mark.  There are points where I feel like he’s putting things on her that aren’t her fault, but overall, they get a little closer to understanding each other, and Jodie’s Whittaker’s reactions are stellar.  That said, I do wish Beth could have been more involved in the resolution of Trish’s storyline – it seems like she dropped out of that a bit at the end.

So, that’s Broadchurch.  At times, it felt like it was more frustrating than it was worth, but it was always a show with a good deal of potential, and whenever the talented cast members were given a chance, they rose to the occasion.  While it might have been best off airing just the first season, I think there were ultimately enough good things in series 2 and 3 to make the latter two worth having.

And, our series wrap-up:

Accent Watch

West Country.

Recommend?

In General – Maybe.  Like I said, this is a show that drove me crazy at times, but there’s some really good television amid the more frustrating elements.

Jodie Whittaker – Yes.  Whittaker wonderfully captures Beth’s deep-running grief and anger, and I really like how her character opens up in series 3 to use some of her awful experiences to help others.

Warnings

Sexual content (including rape and references to pedophilia,) violence, drinking/smoking/drug references, and strong thematic elements (including suicide.)

No comments:

Post a Comment