"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, February 19, 2018

Countdown to Thirteen: Broadchurch: Series 2, Episode 8 (2015)

While kind of a mixed bag, I think I like this season finale a little better than the finale for series 1.  I just think it holds together a little more.  I’m not sure I’d necessarily call it a satisfying end to the season, but it’s a step in the right direction (as with last season, I’ll do what I can to talk about my reaction to the story without spoiling the actual details.)

The big resolution, in which we get the answers we’ve been waiting for.  (The answers we wanted?  You tell me.)  The verdict is given for the trial, and Hardy and Ellie work to finally solve the Sandborn case.

I’m mostly satisfied with the resolution to Sandborn.  The reveal of Danny’s killer last season was more of a shock, but it also seemed to come more out of left field.  This season, there’s more groundwork laid for the answers we get, with enough clues spread along the way that the reveal makes sense.  At the same time, though, it’s not completely predictable.  The specific circumstances of what went down throw in some unexpected details that keep it interesting.  Additionally, I’m impressed with Ellie’s police work here, which I always enjoy.

As has been unfortunately typical of this season, the trial stuff is more disappointing.  Keep in mind, I’m not talking about whether the verdict is guilty or not guilty, just how the show deals with what follows.  Part of the problem, I think, is the split focus on both Sandborn and the trial.  The juicier Sandborn wrap-up is given space to breathe and rool out its answers, which is good.  However, that storyline mainly affects Hardy, Ellie, and the new characters brought in for it.  Meanwhile, the aftermath of the trial – which affects the entire town, including Hardy and Ellie, in addition to the lawyers – feels rather shortchanged as a result of the time devoted to Sandborn.

I was worried that, as far as Beth goes, we were in for a repeat of the series 1 finale, in that her feelings/reactions would mostly be pushed to the background in favor of other characters.  Considering that the fate of her child’s killer is decided here, she feels shockingly absent for much of the episode.  Even when the trial storyline is given focus, she’s just sort of there, not saying or doing much in response.  That said, she is given a very significant scene that takes pride of place near the end of the episode.  While I wouldn’t say the scene’s writing is an absolute knockout, Jodie Whittaker’s performance is.  She really tears it up, given room to let loose all of Beth’s feelings, for better or worse.  Whittaker does such excellent work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment