"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Doctor Who: Series 10 Finale – Spoiler Edition

The spoiler warning’s in the title (for “World Enough and Time” and “The DoctorFalls,”) so here we go.  I’ll try and go mainly for plot stuff today and focus more specifically on the main characters in future Sunday Who Reviews.  Kneejerk reaction?  It has some of the problems that a lot of Moffat’s “big” episodes suffer from, but as far as Moffat finales go, it was actually pretty good – you might have to go as far back as “The Big Bang” before you get another I could say that about.

I love-love-loved seeing the old-school Cybermen look, and just generally, showing their origins was pretty cool and eerie.  But I also really wish they hadn’t spoiled their appearance, along with that of John Simm’s Master, in the previews.  Even though I think it would’ve been easy to guess Cyberman involvement early in the episode, I wouldn’t have necessarily guessed the Mondas angle, and I definitely wouldn’t have expected a Master appearance.  Did yourself a disservice there, guys!

Speaking of the Master, he and Missy interacting with one another was pure gold.  I still think the whole Missy redemption thing is kind of iffy, and I do not like the looks she and the Doctor give each other at different points in the story (in my head, I kept going, “If the Doctor and the Master kiss, I’m gonna lose it,”) the Master and Missy alternately flirting with and trying to kill each other?  Amazing.  This is far and away the most I’ve liked John Simm in the role – I’ve always wanted to love him in it, but the writing for his RTD-era episodes is so ludicrous and over-the-top that I just can’t handle him.  Here, though, he’s the perfect blend of evil menace and hilarious arrogance, and it’s too fitting that the Master’s ideal match is himself.  But seriously, they have to stop killing the Master/Missy without regenerating them, ‘cause it just makes it cheaper when he inevitably pops back up again.  You don’t even have to cast the next actor yet – just show the regeneration energy and cut away.  We all know there’s no losing the Master for good, so why pretend?

Even though, naturally, we get big moments with deaths and explosions (and a glimpse of David Bradley as One!!!  I’m so excited, is it Christmas yet?), I appreciate that, for the most part, the actual stakes in the episode are a lot smaller than usual.  It’s not about stopping the Cybermen before they’re created or anything – it’s not even about trying to thwart their original scheme from “The Tenth Planet.”  Instead, it’s all about protecting a small group of people on a different level of the ship.  I love that the Doctor doesn’t need the universe, a planet, or even an entire ship to be in imminent danger in order for him to be prepared to make his last stand.  It’s maybe not quite as exciting as it could be, but I’ll gladly take it over the usual teeth-gnashing, fabric-of-the-universe-rending, Biggest Deal to Ever Deal finale.

Other than to say that I enjoyed Nardole’s exit and thought the show gave him a rather touching finish, I think that’s it for now.  I have a lot more thoughts/feelings/etc. on both the Doctor and Bill, so I’ll save them for their own posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment