"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, February 23, 2017

2017 Oscar Picks

As with last year, these are picks, not predictions – the films/people I’d like to see win rather than the ones who may be likely to win.  So, since I have no great love for La La Land, what I’m saying is, this post will not constitute an airtight Oscar ballot.  Covering my nine favorite categories here.

Best Picture:  Lion – I’ll be sad if this film takes home nothing on Oscar night, even though I’d say that’s more than likely, because it remains my absolute favorite of the nominees.  There are others I like, admire, and love, but this one wows me, absolutely.  So gorgeously made, with heartfelt emotions and an amazing story.

Best Leading Actor:  Denzel Washington (Fences) – While the three performances I saw are obviously all very good, there isn’t a clear standout for me.  I went with Washington because I really enjoy how he plays a man who spends his life “performing” his personality to those around him.  (I didn’t see Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea or Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge.)

Best Leading Actress:  Natalie Portman (Jackie) – It was between Portman and, surprisingly for me, Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins, but in the end, I thought Portman had the clear edge.  She has some really meaty moments here and carries them off beautifully.  (I didn’t see Isabelle Hupert in Elle.)

Best Supporting Actor:  Dev Patel (Lion) – This was a tough one, because Mahershala Ali is great, too; if Patel had been up for Leading Actor, I would’ve gladly picked him there and gone with Ali here.  But I couldn’t not pick Patel.  Lion just knocked me out, and his superb, emotional performance is a big part of that.  (I didn’t see Lucas Hedges in Manchester by the Sea.)

Best Supporting Actress:  Viola Davis (Fences) – Another one that I think would have been better placed in the Leading category, which makes it a little unfair to the actresses who are in supporting roles.  Still, of what we have, it’s no contest for Davis.  She’s sublime, and her big speech to Troy (you know the one) is just incredible.  (I didn’t see Michelle Williams in Manchester by the Sea.)

Best Directing:  Arrival – Yes, yes, yes.  Visually inventive, making Louise’s first contact such a sensory experience for us the viewers.  The heptopods, their language, their ship, and everything about them feels so real and well-thought-out.  The other films I saw were really well-directed, but Arrival is a slam-dunk for me.  (I didn’t see Manchester by the Sea or Hacksaw Ridge.)

Best Original Screenplay:  Hell or High Water – I didn’t have a clear favorite here; I just knew that I didn’t think La La Land was up to snuff.  But while The Lobster and 20th Century Women are both excellently-written films, I think Hell or High Water is probably the most consistent of the bunch.  (I didn’t see Manchester by the Sea.)

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Lion – Super unfair category here, because I unreservedly love pretty much every one.  Ultimately, though, I had to give it to Lion – this story just tears at my heart, and it’s so beautifully realized onscreen.  (I saw all five nominees here.)

Best Cinematography:  Lion – Sensing a theme?  I debated for quite a while about Arrival, because that one’s pretty spectacular too, but Lion has a few sequences that pull me so much more deeply into the story on the strength of its cinematography, especially young Saroo arriving at the train station and adult Saroo “walking” his familiar streets in his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment