"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Relationship Spotlight: Kara Zor-El & Kal-El (Supergirl)

By and large, I thought Supergirl’s first season did an all-right job making Superman’s presence felt despite his absence from the show.  Some of the dialogue surrounding him feels weirdly stilted – I wondered at times if there was some copyright issue forcing them to have Kara repeatedly say “my cousin” instead of “Superman,” “Clark,” or “Kal-El,” any of which would’ve felt more natural most of the time.  However I like Kara’s complex feelings about not being able to fulfill her original role of looking out for him as a baby and being compared unfavorably to him as she works on becoming a hero herself, and her and Kal’s occasional IM conversations are brief but effective.  When I heard that the Man of Steel himself was being brought in for the start of season 2, I was excited, but I was also a bit wary.  After all, it’s Kara’s show, and I didn’t want to see a lot of upstaging (a few Kara-Kal-related spoilers.)

Basically?  Any worry I had was completely unfounded.  I love Kara, I love the show’s version of Kal (I’ve never been a fan of Superman, but this portrayal might have made me a believer,) and I adore the two of them together.  From the first moment Kal flies into National City, he’s there to help, not save the day, and it’s an absolute pleasure to watch him and Kara fight alongside each other.  They have a natural give-and-take; though each can hold their own against any foe and ultimately come out on top, they are, per the House of El motto, “stronger together” and can superhero tag-team like nobody’s business.

This is just everything I wanted it to be.  Kal doesn’t try to take charge, Kara doesn’t get possessive of her turf, and the (admittedly-fickle) citizens of National City don’t lose interest in Supergirl when Superman flies into town.  Instead, the Kryptonian dream team is a hit, and nowhere is it more popular than between the cousins themselves.  Both are such enormous fans of one another, hugely admiring what the other can do and relishing the chance to work together.  These two are even more of a delight than Kara and Barry in the DC-show crossovers.  I just can’t get over how much they adore one another and doing their thing together.  They’re basically a basket of super-powered puppies that can save the world.

I also like how the dynamic acknowledges the Phantom Zone/time-stall issues.  Kal was on Earth long enough to grow up and becoming a superhero long before Kara’s pod even arrived and deposited her tween self there, so he has a lot more hero experience and can give Kara advice without being patronizing.  On the other hand, although Kal’s resources at the Fortress of Solitude have allowed him to learn all the facts and figures about Krypton, he was just a baby when they left.  Kara passed a good portion of her childhood there, and so she can share what their planet was actually like, the lived-in truth you can’t get from records or simulations.

This last point is an important one.  Two Kryptonians, side by side, and unlike last year, they’re both fighting on the same side.  That connection to their home, so long lost, is an important one.  For Kal, it’s a sight of a home he never really got the chance to know, and for Kara, it’s a bond that keeps her memories of that home alive.  And I just love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment