"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, PG-13)

First off, I can I say how interesting it was to go into a Potterverse movie and not know what was going to happen?  I always watch an original film differently than I do an adaptation, and it was neat to have that original-film experience within such a familiar adaptation setting.  Anyway, I expected to enjoy this movie, but I’m almost a little surprised at how much I loved it (premise spoilers.)

In 1926, the globetrotting wizard Newt Scamander arrives in New York City.  A dedicated magizoologist, Newt is passionate about finding and protecting magical creatures that are threatened by the wizarding community (either exploited due to opportunism or killed due to fear and/or ignorance.)  He’s out of his element among the U.S. wizarding society, which is marked by stringent secrecy from the fear left by the country’s lingering Puritan influences, and he doesn’t exactly endear himself to ex-Auror Tina when a few of the creatures he keeps in his magical suitcase give him the slip and go walkabout.  The city is at a tipping point, magically, and it’s of vital importance that Newt, Tina, and a few other new friends recover the creatures before they draw the attention of the Muggles (yeah, I know American wizards say “No-Maj,” but I don’t care – Muggles forever!)

It’s not a perfect movie.  You can tell the plot is still kind of getting warmed up, and there are a few expositional missteps.  It doesn’t feel like it’s quite decided yet how much it wants to stand on its own vs. being tied to established Potter lore – the references we get to the original series feel a little conspicuous.  Also, with the multicultural wizard presence in New York, it is disappointing to see only one PoC character of any significance.  However, it does lay some wonderful groundwork for the new chapter J.K. Rowling is building here.  I love getting a look at wizards in another country and wish we could’ve gotten more of that, and the movie does a bang-up job exploring its main themes (I’ll save more spoilery thoughts on this for another post.) 

We’re still getting to know the new characters, but I’m pretty much sold.  Eddie Redmayne’s Newt is especially great – for me, the scenes of him looking after his beasts would be enough to cover the cost of admission.  I also love the inclusion of Jacob (Dan Fogler of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Tony glory!), a Muggle who gets caught up in all the magical goings-on.  It didn’t really strike me until I saw Newt’s disapproval of American wizards’ strict rules concerning fraternization with Muggles, but the original books really don’t have any positive Muggle characters with important roles, so it’s nice to see magical and non-magical cooperation here.  Sisters Tina and Queenie (played by Katherine Waterson and Alison Sudol, neither of whom I’m that familiar with) are portrayed with classic night-and-day contrast without pitting them against each other or setting one’s methods up as indisputably “better” than the other’s, which I appreciate.  The film also features Colin Farrell, Samantha Morton, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower’s Ezra Miller doing some fine work.

Oh yeah, and beasts!  They truly are fantastic.  I love them and all their havoc-causing ways.

Warnings

Fantasy violence, scary images, smoking/drinking, and thematic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment