"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Little TLC(w): My Heart is That Eternal Rose (1989)

While this Tony Leung Chiu-wai movie has its good points – stylish cinematography, some strong performances – I’d say it makes a fairly weak showing overall.  The plot is heavy on melodrama and sketchy with details, and at an only hour-and-a-half, it still drags for me in places.  A lot of the people in front of and behind the camera are doing solid work, but the screenplay just doesn’t do them any favors.

Lap’s father, a former gangster, is strong-armed into coming back for one last job.  When it inevitably goes south, he’s snatched before he’s able to flee Hong Kong with Lap and her boyfriend Rick.  Lap appeals to the local godfather for help and she’s given it – provided she agrees to become “his woman.”  Heart breaking, she urges Rick to get out while he can, telling him she’ll follow but knowing she can’t.  As she gets more deeply ensnared in Godfather Shen’s world, she continues to love Rick and wonders if second chances in love are ever possible.

The film is an interesting mix of a gritty gangster drama and a huge, sweeping romance (seriously – I got semi-Casablanca vibes at times.)  I like that it can be both things so completely, but unfortunately, I don’t think it really succeeds at either.  On both sides, the Drama!!! feels overblown and more than a little cheesy.  In addition, there’s a long mid-film time jump that I think does it a disservice.  I’m still not entirely clear on what being Godfather Shen’s “woman” means – is Lap his “girlfriend?”  His prostitute?  Arm candy?  Does he “offer” her to his shady business partners in thanks?  Exactly how revulsive is Lap’s situation here?  I think it would’ve been more interesting to show what this was like for Lap.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai plays Cheung, a gangster in Godfather Shen’s employ who looks out for Lap and tries to keep her safe.  He winds up playing a larger and more interesting part than I anticipated when Cheung is first introduced, but I have a hard time getting a read on him.  His character is also hurt by the time jump, because we never see him meeting Lap and becoming close to her.  Also, I’m really at a loss as to why he’s a gangster in the first place.  Cheung is kind, sort of puppyish, a bit spineless (to begin with,) and, considering his job, seems almost comically naïve at times.  I get that the film wants an ally for Lap in the crime underworld, but Cheung just seems so out-of-place in that setting that I’m not sure how he got there.  That said, Leung does a surprisingly-nice job with this confusing and rather thinly-drawn character.  He plays the role with charm and heart; I like the moments of breathing space between all the high drama, when he’s amusingly personable and down-to-earth despite all the craziness going on.

Recommend?

In General – Not really.  Mediocre at best, I’d say.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai – Eh, maybe?  I initially thought this was going to be a pretty small, forgettable part, but by the end, Cheung has surprised me a bit, and Leung gives it his all.

Warnings

Violence (including attempted sexual assault,) sexual content, and smoking/drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment