"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Original: The Perils of Rabbit Riding (2012)

The Perils of Rabbit Riding

Unfamiliar as I was
With Volkswagen models and their names,
I didn’t know why we called it Rabbit,
For it had no ears that I could see
And it never once led us to Wonderland.

It was a vehicle well-suited for sweat –
December heaters seared small fingers
And none but the bold and foolhardy
Dared to approach the sun-scorched seats of summer
With only shorts for protection.

When the five of us traversed together,
The seven-seater van was the carriage of preference.
The Rabbit, understand,
Was one seatbelt shy of a family,
But the gravel-road journey to church
Was deemed “close enough.”

I couldn’t say why the perilous middle seat
Was forever marked for the middle child,
But there I would sit,
A brother at either elbow
And my toes perched stiffly
On the center console.

During these one-mile daredevil ventures,
I wore a human safety belt
Fashioned of my brothers’ clasped hands
As they crossed their arms over my waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment