"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Favorite Characters: Rebecca Bunch (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend)

Keeping up the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend love fest with our leading lady, the wonderful, awful, crazy, hurting, tenacious, sunshiny, depressed, wildly imaginative Rebecca.  She pretty much immediately joined the ranks of my favorite Beautiful Mess characters (a comment on the beauty of their messiness, not their physical appearance, even though Rebecca does happen to be gorgeous) – I just love rooting for her to make good (premise spoilers.)

If someone had told me I would fall so hard for a female character who moves across the country to be near an old crush, I would not have believed them, but Rebecca absolutely works for me in a way that defies all logic.  I’d say that, in large part, it’s crucial that the show makes no bones about how messed-up this motivation is, and honestly, Rebecca does the same.  It’s why she’s in such deep denial for so long about why she really moved to West Covina, because she’s just done something she’s never thought herself capable of and it takes time for her to cut through her own excuses and admit the truth.

Because Rebecca is screwed up, majorly so.  She’s incredibly impulsive, lies expertly to herself and others, carries around a ton of unresolved parental issues, crafts a shiny fantasy world that’s easier for her to deal with than her depression and anxiety, and is a master of self-sabotage.  Over the course of season 1, she does some unambiguously terrible things that hurt herself as much as they do those around her; when she sings songs of self-disgust like “You Stupid Bitch” and “I’m the Villain in My Own Story,” she’s come by them honestly.  It can seem like, for every inch she crawls forward, she jumps a foot back.

But she is working on it.  By fits and starts, with lots of relapses and tangents, but she does attempt to be better – again, both to herself and others.  Rebecca reminds me of a quote from Pushing Daisies where Vivian says, “I think it’s brave to try to be happy.”  That’s what I see Rebecca ultimately trying (and struggling) to do.  She’s trying to come to terms with herself and find some kind of contentment in her life.  At present, one of her main problems is the fact that she’s tied the entire concept of happiness to one guy.  Until she realizes that Josh can’t “fix” her, she’s not going to be able to truly move forward, but I’m excited to see her make steps toward the sort of happiness that comes from within, not from an external source.

And really?  I just love her.  I love that she imagines life as a musical to help her make sense of it.  I love that she enjoys reading about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.  I love that she has a passion for creative donut flavors.  I love that she casually calls out sexism, racism, and ableism she encounters.  I love that she’s trying to figure out what she wants for herself in life, and that she’s finally trying to do it on her own terms instead of living the life her mom mapped out for her.  I love that she can’t solve all her problems on a dime, and I love it when she finally comes clean to someone about the hurt she’s caused them, even when that someone is herself.

Rebecca may have a long way to go, but I hope I can watch her try to get there for many seasons to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment