"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

2016 Oscar Picks

“Picks,” mind you, not predictions.  Looking at the nominees in my nine favorite categories, on which I focused my Oscar watch, these are the people/films I’d like to see win.  Sometimes I think they’re objectively the best, but sometimes, they’re just my favorite.  Here we go!

Best Picture:  The Martian – I debated for quite a while between this one and Mad Max:  Fury Road, which is just astounding.  Both are phenomenal “whole package” films where everything comes together to brilliant effect, but I think The Martian might have a slight edge, if only because it has more great dialogue to love.  This is a very shaky lead, though; I’m considered switching to Mad Max even as I type this.

Best Leading Actor:  Matt Damon (The Martian) – Don’t get me wrong, I like Leo, but this isn’t the role I’d give him the Oscar for; the story just didn’t give him the depth I like to see an actor working with.  The Martian, however, gives Damon a superb character that he plays amazingly.  I’ve found that that’s a theme with my acting picks, though.  More than anything, my best performer is usually the one with the most compelling character on paper.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Bryan Cranston in Trumbo.)

Best Leading Actress:  Brie Larson (Room) – No contest here, although in a different year, Saoirse Ronan could have risen to the top.  Larson is absolutely stunning as Ma, handling this rich, complex, hard-to-watch role with both rawness and sensitivity, if that even makes sense.  With a character like this for her to play, the other actresses didn’t stand a chance.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Charlotte Rampling in 45 Years.)

Best Supporting Actor:  Sylvester Stallone (Creed) – I wouldn’t have guessed this before I saw the film, and Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler’s snubs make me a little sad to pick Stallone, but he’s my clear choice.  Far and away, his material gives him the best chance stretch his acting muscles, and he rises wonderfully to the occasion.

Best Supporting Actress:  Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) – This feels like a bit of a cheat, since Gerda is pretty clearly a lead role, but it does mean that Vikander gets a better chance to showcase her skills than the other actresses in this category.  Though I’m naturally predisposed to be on the side of the trans person in these kinds of stories, Vikander sells Gerda’s struggle/confusion and makes her sympathetic even in harder moments.  (Note:  I haven’t seen Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hateful Eight.)

Best Directing:  Mad Max:  Fury Road – I also considered Room pretty strongly, but Mad Max:  Fury Road is just such a singular, breathtaking film-going experience, and George Miller’s audacious vision has a lot to do with it.  This is a film where every element comes together so fantastically that it’s clear it had a strong creative mind behind the helm. 

Best Original Screenplay:  Spotlight – And no, it’s not just because I love Tom McCarthy.  This story is tight, it’s dramatic, it’s emotionally compelling, and the characters speak like people do.  This is a tough category with some great competition, but ultimately, I had to go with Spotlight.

Best Adapted Screenplay:  The Big Short – Any film that can explain home mortgages and investments in a way that’s both entertaining and makes me feel like I get it is a winner in my book, although I do really love The Martian as well.  Also, as I said in my review, I just love how the film breaks the fourth wall to comment on itself as a based-on-a-true-story picture.

Best Cinematography:  Sicario – Maybe it’s in part because this is the only nomination Sicario received, so it was the only element I was paying attention to in an “award-focused” state of mind when I watched the film, but the cinematography is hugely important here.  It contributes greatly to the atmosphere and tension, and it really brings home the parallels between the drug war and military wars.  (Note:  I haven’t seen The Hateful Eight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment