"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, February 29, 2016

2016 Oscar Awards

Another year, another Oscars.  The awards were a mixed bag for me – some predictable wins and a few upsets, some well-deserved (in my opinion) wins and a few that bugged me – but the ceremony itself had plenty of intriguing moments to keep my interest.

I was thrilled that Mad Max:  Fury Road cleaned up in the design and technical categories, taking home six awards (the most of any film that night.)  Even though it didn’t get any of the “big” stuff, I’m glad the Academy actually recognized how wonderful it is.  The only problem with the sweep was that it got my hopes up that George Miller might beat out Alejandro González Iñárritu for best director.  No luck, sadly.  However, just as I was resigning myself to The Revenant winning best picture, Spotlight swooped in to save the day!  Very happy for Tom McCarthy and everyone behind that movie.  It was a little odd that it only won one other award it was up for (best original screenplay,) but it felt gratifying to me that the film deemed to have the best story was also the film given the top honor.  The Big Short’s win for best adapted screenplay made me happy as well, and as for cinematography, I’m a little bowled over that Emmanuel Lubezki (The Revenant) got his third Oscar in a row.  When that streak ended, it really ended!

The acting categories went three-for-four as I expected.  Mark Rylance winning best supporting actor for Bridge of Spies shocked me – I’d thought Stallone had it in the bag.  I was most happy for Brie Larson getting the lead actress trophy.  Even though that win was in no way a surprise, it was for very good reason.  Although I anticipated Alicia Vikander taking best supporting actress, I still don’t like the fact that she won for a very obvious co-lead role.  And Leonardo DiCaprio… Good on him for finally nabbing that Oscar, but it’s disappointing to me that it was for The Revenant.  I just didn’t think that film provided him with a good showcase for his talents at all.

I enjoyed Chris Rock as the host, and while I figured he wouldn’t avoid the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, it surprised me how heavily the ceremony centered around it.  It was the focus of the whole monologue (which, for me, veered occasionally into attempts to absolving the Academy on the issue because there are “more important things” to worry about, but which also made some good, cutting points,) and there were numerous bits addressing diversity in Hollywood.  I particularly liked the “Black actors inserted into best picture nominees” clips, an amusing “history lesson” with Angela Bassett, and Rock’s man-on-the-street interviews with theatergoers outside a Compton cinema.  Others onstage, from presenters to winners to the Academy president, also brought up the importance of inclusion, although I don’t recall anyone white taking part in those statements.  One thing that bothered me in the #OscarsSoWhite remarks was how consistently it was framed as #OscarsNotBlack, when no actors of color were recognized.  I realize that most of the specific snubs called out this year were Black actors (or directors, in Ryan Coogler and F. Gary Gray’s cases,) and in general, I think other acting communities of color are at a different stage in their fight for representation in Hollywood, but it still felt weird that hardly anyone recognized it as more than a Black issue.  However, I love that Rock made opportunity a major focus; his rueful comment to Leonardo DiCaprio about Leo being “in a great movie every year” highlighted the imbalance in a pretty striking way.

Also, C-3PO, R2-D2, and BB-8 were made of win.  I “awwed” when Jacob Tremblay from Room stood up in his seat to get a better view of the droids.

No comments:

Post a Comment