"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Doctor Who: Series 10, Episode 0 – “The Husbands of River Song” (2015)

Christmas romp!  River!  Hijinks!  Heads in bags!  What more do you want on Christmas, right?  I’d say this episode isn’t quite as good as I (naively?) hoped it would be, but it delivers on the most important levels.  (Light spoilers.)

The Doctor’s solitary Christmas is interrupted by what appears to be a by-now-familiar summons from River.  Upon being brought together, however, River shows no signs of recognition.  Is she playing dumb for some strategic reason, or does she not know Twelve?  That’s what he finds time to wonder somewhere in between the demands of the whirlwind adventure in which River is embroiled.  There’s trickery, thievery, and archeology, along with idyllic Christmas snow, homicidal headless robots, and a veritable bevy of sonic devices.

I’ll start with my cons and move on to the pros.  There’s some definite slapdashery going on, nonsensical developments and twists that don’t seem in service of much of anything.  River herself feels weirdly out-of-character for a sizable chunk of the episode, and I can’t really make heads or tails of it.  I kept waiting for the other shoe or the act to drop – I may need another viewing to see if I can get a better handle on it. 

The worst for me, though, is how long it takes River to twig that Twelve is the Doctor.  On some level, I can understand it, and the scene in which she does figure it out is excellent, but going into this episode, I was most excited to see the dynamic between River and Twelve.  We got that, and the show didn’t disappoint on that front – not by any means – but we could have had considerably more of it.  As it is, I feel like the episode wasted too much time dangling the prospect of what I was really there to see.

Because once that’s taken care of, the Doctor and River are basically magic.  They’re fun and funny and insane, but also smart and take-charge and absolutely lovely.  Peter Capaldi and Alex Kingston play splendidly off of one another, bringing comedy, drama, and adventure in equal measure.  There are nods to the past alongside discoveries in the present and questions about the future, and the nature of their relationship is explored in a few fantastic scenes in the last third of the episode. 

We haven’t seen her for several years now, but even though River seems off in the first section of the story, I don’t fault Kingston for it.  In the parts where River is written like River, she’s note-perfect – hasn’t missed a step.  And the Doctor is fairly glorious here.  His recent hardships are addressed, in a slightly roundabout way, and he’s earnest about some tough emotions, but he also gets to smile and have fun for a change, to just enjoy the life he leads.  Additionally, we get a few delightfully-cranky Twelve moments (ah, bless,) and the Doctor shows off his considerable snarking talents.  There’s a scene of him playing around in the TARDIS that’s worth the price of admission.

Fun and pathos, side by side.  That’s the Who I love best, and I know the show is still capable of doing it.  Throw in well-crafted storytelling that makes sense, and I’m the happiest of campers.  Next season, let’s keep the momentum going on the first two and work on consistently delivering the third.  That’s what topping my Whovian Christmas list.

No comments:

Post a Comment