"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Top Five Songs: Bring It On



I love the scores for Next to Normal and In the Heights, so it’s a no-brainer that I’d love Tom Kitt and Lin-Manuel Miranda’s tag-team effort in Bring It On.  I’m not the least self-conscious about my delight with this based-on-a-movie cheerleading musical, because the music is just that good.  Here are my favorites.


“What I Was Born to Do” – This showcase for Campbell opens the show with energy and spirit.  The chorus, with its mantra “These Truman girls / Are superhuman girls,” is ridiculously catchy, and I love the cheer introductions in the middle.  Right away, we see that Campbell is a cheerleader because she loves it, not because of stereotypical high-school-movie pecking order reasons, which gives us a better idea of what kind of show we’re about to see.

Best line:  “We got one shot that we work all year for - / We got more balls than the team we cheer for.”


“Do Your Own Thing” – Lin-Manuel Miranda has such a talent for scene songs that establish settings and characters, move the plot forward, have insane hooks, and boast clever lyrics all at the same time.  This song, in which Campbell starts her apprehensive first day at Jackson High, is a stellar example of this.

Best line:  “Step one to become invisible: / Books up – de-accentuate the physical, / Head down – use only your peripheral. / Stick with me; we’ll be indivisible.”


“We Ain’t No Cheerleaders” – I’m so in love with the groove of this song.  Danielle leads us with strut and stagger, and she’s backed well by Nautica and La Cienega.  The dance crew wasn’t around for “What I Was Born to Do,” so their idea of cheerleaders is the teen movie stereotype, and they clarify their roles in this number that sizzles with attitude.

Best line:  “You can call your therapist / And complain, ‘Those girls ain’t right,’ / ‘Cause every day / We get haters / Who say they can take us. / Okay, baby - / If that helps you sleep at night.”


“It’s All Happening” – Another fantastic scene song.  As Campbell and Danielle try to recruit kids for their squad, I like the way they paint a picture for their potential converts.  They offer a wide assortment of motives, everything from fame/a chance to show off, to representing their neighborhood and proving what they can do to the rich white kids of the other schools. 

Best line:  “What – are y’all scared? / Y’all think cheerin’ is feminine? / Then I’m a feminist swimmin’ in / Women, gentlemen!”


“Cross the Line” – This isn’t even a song performed in the show – it’s the backing track to Jackson’s competition routine.  Still, I adore it.  It has such lovely themes of bravery and risk-taking, and I like that it focuses more on self-victory than on trophies.  Plus, the melody is gorgeous; I especially love the final, triumphant chorus that comes in after the bridge.

Best line:  “I wanna fall just to feel alive. / I feel like following me tonight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment