"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Secret Agent: Episode 3 (1992)

 
One last episode, one last appearance of Mr. Vladimir.  If yesterday’s installment led up to the act, today’s shows what follows.  I’ll go so far as to say Verloc makes an attempt, although in the interest of spoiler prevention I won’t tell you if he’s successful.  Regardless, the episode highlights the ramifications for the public, the police, the embassy, the anarchist community, Verloc’s family, and of course Verloc himself. 
 
I’ve seen other stories dealing with this subject, but I don’t usually see it viewed through a Victorian lens.  Most of the undercover-agent stuff I know is either modern or Cold-War-era, and most terrorism plots I’ve encountered are modern.  It’s interesting to get a Victorian perspective on the issue, especially since the original novel was written shortly after that period and Joseph Conrad would have lived through it.
 
I have to say, this is a pretty good episode for Mr. Vladimir.  In the fallout of Verloc’s attempt, Mr. Vladimir central aim is to deflect any and all suspicion of his involvement in it (you’ve gotta respect a man who owns his actions.)  There’s a really good scene where he’s made to defend his beliefs, and he explains why he’s so ends-justify-the-means with regard to anarchism.  While it certainly doesn’t excuse what he does, it helps you understand why he thinks his actions are called for.  The ardor of his feelings definitely comes through; the normally-subdued man is practically shaking with pent-up rage.  PC is excellent here.
 
With that, another PC project comes to an end…
 
Accent Watch
 
RP, though I’m not entirely sure why.  Mr. Vladimir is clearly meant to be a foreign national.  I suppose it’s possible that he came to England at a very young age, but from the way he describes his experiences, it doesn’t seem like it.  Beats me.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – Possibly.  Some might find it overly Masterpiece-Theatre-y, but it’s a decent yarn.  Plus, like I said, it’s neat to see the subject of terrorism addressed in a work so far removed from today’s cultural climate.
 
PC-wise – I think so.  PC does a nice job conveying Mr. Vladimir’s quiet menace, and he has a few meaty scenes.  If nothing else, I’d recommend episode 3 for the scene I described above.
 
Warnings
 
Some dark subject matter and grisly images (by early-90s Masterpiece standards – it’s not like we’re talking Saw or anything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment