"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, February 28, 2014

Getting On: Series 2, Episode 4 (2010)

 
PC makes his third onscreen appearance here, which I actually wasn’t expecting.  I had it in my head that he was in episodes 2 and 6 of this season.  Not sure if this one escaped my notice or if I mistook episode 6 for it, but either way, this is the most screentime ole Peter Healy has had to date (I always feel compelled to say the character’s full name whenever he first comes up in a review; maybe it’s a need to differentiate him from his portrayer/namesake PC.)
 
It seems Peter is a slightly different character every time he appears, although he’s been a tool pretty consistently.  I guess other characters shift a bit as the plot requires, but as a small recurring player without many episodes under his belt, he doesn’t have as solid a foundation to stand on.  Anyway, Peter’s main role here is to go over Pippa’s most recent staff review with her – I’m not sure how that fits with his position as a psychologist, although goodness know Pippa could provide him with plenty of material to study.  Throughout the proceedings, he’s no prince, making offhand, subtly disparaging remarks like an avaricious upstart in a Dickens novel.  Still classy, I see.
 
In other news, our central geriatric ward has been hit by the latest bug:  platitudinal corporate buzzwords!  The new “Icing the Cake” initiative, promising to improve patient care by utterly unspecified means, is sweeping the hospital.  Watching these overworked, unimpressed staff members take part in a company-retreat-style rap session might be the funniest scene of the series so far.  
 
Accent Watch
 
Now that PC’s had a chance to deliver some longer lines, I’m hearing quite a bit of Scottish.  I think he’s still going for RP, but Peter has Scottish OOs left, right, and center.


No comments:

Post a Comment