"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling: Episode 3 (1997)

 
I read portions of Tom Jones back when I took a Restoration-era lit. class.  Its length kept me from reading past the assigned pages, but I enjoyed it as a microcosm of its period:  sex and scandal mixed with pageantry and propriety.  Evidently, when it came out in 1749, it was considered so shocking that it got the blame for an earthquake.
 
PC shows up halfway through this miniseries, so I’ll bring you quickly up to speed.  Tom Jones, as per the title, is a foundling.  Translation?  Illegitimate.  He’s raised comfortably by one Squire Allworthy and falls in love with the lovely/rich Sophia Western.  However, despite his upbringing, his birth discounts him as a good match.  Certain unscrupulous persons defame his character, and he’s forced to leave home.  Sophia likewise departs, fleeing an odious fiancée, and the two crisscross one another’s paths on their ensuing adventures leading to London.
 
PC’s Lord Fellamar is introduced near the end of episode 3.  Not much is known about him yet.  Henry Fielding, our narrator, identifies him as a villain, and he develops an at-first-sight infatuation with Sophia.  Based chiefly on the height of his wig, I’m assuming he’s rather peacock-ish and is probably even worse for Sophia than the fiancée she ran away from.
 
With such a brief look at Lord Fellamar so far, I don’t have a lot to say.  Still, I anticipate good things.  PC’s turn as Azolan in Dangerous Liaisons proves he can fit in well in 18th century period pieces, and I bet he’ll be even more fun playing a prissy lord than a manservant.
 
Familiar faces abound, so many that I won’t even list them all here.  I’ll hit the highlights and probably mention more for the remaining two parts of the miniseries.  Sophia is played by the wonderful Samantha Morton.  We also have Michelle Fairley (lately Catelyn Stark on Game of Thrones,) Benjamin Whitrow (Mr. Bennet from the Ehle/Firth Pride and Prejudice,) James D’Arcy (Tom Bertram in the Billie Piper version of Mansfield Park,) and Kelly Reilly (it always makes me smile to see her – I discovered The Spanish Apartment when I was in college.)  Phew!
 
Accent Watch
 
He’s only had a couple lines, shouted in the midst of an uproar.  I’m sure it’s RP, but I’ve yet to pass judgment on it.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – Quite possibly, if you don’t mind lots of 18th-century naughtiness.  Tons of excellent actors having a grand old time in an arch, racy adaptation.
 
PC-wise – Too early to say, but I’m sure the next two episodes will give me more to work with.
 
Warnings
 
Lots of sexual content, including sex scenes, sexual discussion, and nudity.  A brief scene of violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment