"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The All New Alexei Sayle Show: Series 2, Episode 2 (1995)

 
More “Drunk in Time.”  In this installment, the in-the-bag time travelers stumble upon the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  Not as funny as the Rasputin one, in my opinion.  I dunno; it’s just okay.  If you're so inclined, you can view it here.
 
Jim Carter shows up again, this time as George Washington.  It’s funny to see him playing an American icon, since I know him best as such a quintessentially English butler (second only to Jeeves?  Maybe – Carson isn’t one to be trifled with.)
 
A few other recurring sketches crop up, but for me, the most amusing bits were in the newer material.  There’s a Superman-in-Yorkshire idea that got a few laughs from me, and I cracked up at a very short, quick gag about a fish.  I’m also rather fond of “How many anticlimaxes does it take to change a light bulb?”
 
*         *         *
 
In other news, how annoyed am I right now with Sexual Assault Abbey?  Julian frickin’ Fellowes.  This kind of plot requires extremely sensitive handling and skillful writing, and we’re talking about the man who devised the three-episode paralysis (poor Dan Stevens – bet his jaw dropped when he read that in the script.)  In short, oh me of little faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment