"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Vicar of Dibley: Series 1, Episode 2 - “Songs of Praise” (1994)


(It's going to be another late night getting home, so I decided to do double duty yesterday and put up this review early.  It's a grueling, grueling job, but someone's gotta do it.)
 
This wound up being a pleasant surprise for me.  Netflix has tried to sell me on The Vicar of Dibley many a time, but I've not bitten.  I've never been too taken with French and Saunders, together or separate – I've seen a couple episodes each of Girls on Top and Ab Fab, and both strike me as old-fashioned, overly-hammy Britcoms.  (I know that Ab Fab is quite popular, and it's possible that I just have yet to realize the magic, but for now, that's my stance.)
 
I didn't realize, however, that The Vicar of Dibley was written by Richard Curtis, he of Blackadder fame (not to mention the fabulous “Vincent and the Doctor” from Who.)  Sure, it has its broad moments, but I actually found the show really funny in a charming way.  In “Songs of Praise,” Geraldine – the titular female vicar of a small West Country parish – is delighted when a service at her church is chosen to be featured on the BBC series Songs of Praise.  The only problem?  The songs of praise part, since the church doesn't currently have a choir.  Sitcom mishaps ensue, including a very funny botched scripture reading.
 
To complicate matters, Geraldine immediately develops a substantial crush on Tristan Campbell, a dishy young BBC director played by PC.  Tristan is the one who's come down to film the service, and Geraldine's attempts to be both flirtatious and ecclesiastical are about as successful as you'd think they'd be.
 
It's not an especially tall order for a capable actor, but PC is fun and likable in the role.  He plays off of Geraldine's craziness well, and the scene in which he's shooting the sermon is a hoot.
 
Another enticement, for me, is the way the show deals with religion.  Rather than just mocking religious people, the humor tends more toward churchy issues that plenty of church-goers would be familiar with, like debates over “appropriate” Bible translations or prospective choir members with more enthusiasm than talent.  And Geraldine herself is a lot of fun - “Come in if you're sexy and you love Jesus!” is a cute line.
 
Accent Watch
 
Now, this is a little confusing for me.  I swear PC is doing RP here, but Geraldine makes a remark about him being Scottish.  Maybe Tristan is ethnically Scottish but came of age and accent in England?  Beats me.
 
Recommend?
 
In General – I'd say so.  I'm adding this one to the list of Shows to Return to After Capaldi Fall.  Be advised, though – the laugh track gets a little grating at times.
 
PC-wise – Maybe, if you just want something light and fun.  PC was in one more episode of The Vicar of Dibley, so I might have a more decided opinion tomorrow.
 
Warnings
 
A small handful of sexual jokes/references, including a number of unintentional euphemisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment