"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Favorite Characters: B2EMO (Andor)

*B2EMO-related spoilers.*

Before I get into it, I realized I haven’t written about the Emmy nominations yet. While of course I’m thrilled that Andor got so many nominations, including Best Drama and writing/directing, it’s utterly wild to me that it didn’t get a single acting nod. Last year, when Andor and House of the Dragon were both airing, one of my prevailing thoughts was, “I really hope Paddy Considine submits for Best Supporting Actor, because I’m obviously going to be rooting for Diego Luna, but I don’t want to root against Considine.” But then neither of them was nominated at all??? And with Andor, no Stellan Skarsgård or Fiona Shaw for Supporting? No Andy Serkis for Best Guest Actor? What were the Emmy voters even doing this past season?

All right, obligatory rant out of the way. Now onto the fun stuff!

As I write this, I realize that B2EMO is the first droid that I’ve given Favorite Character status to, but he definitely won’t be the last. From the very beginning, Star Wars has had a talent for creating memorable, endearing droid characters—I have mini remote control versions of R2-D2, BB8, and L0-LA, and if there was a B2EMO one, I’d snatch it up with a quickness. But I need to start somewhere, and because this is me we’re talking about, we’re starting with the Andor droid.

B2EMO is the Andor family droid. He’s been with Maarva at least since she found Cassian on Kenari, and to say he’s seen better days is putting it mildly. This junky little droid has been through it: his voice system glitches, which makes it stutter, and he’s a bit wobbly on his wheels. But he trundles online, looking for Cassian in his usual haunts. When it’s clear that Cassian is in trouble and wants to hide it from Maarva for as long as he can, he asks if Bee can cover for him. “I can lie,” the droid replies. “I have adequate power reserves.”

I just…it takes more energy for B2EMO to lie than it does for him to tell the truth. I love it.

While, like most (all?) droids, B2EMO provides services, following commands from Cassian and Maarva as he’s able, his position in the family is more like that of a beloved old dog. The Andors are mostly patient with him when it takes a little longer to search his data logs, and they try to make sure he’s looked after. When Cassian returns to Ferrix after the Aldhani heist, flush with cash and more determined than ever to run away from all his problems, he promises Maarva that he has enough money to buy safety, comfort, and anonymity for the three of them: him, her, and Bee.

B2EMO doesn’t exactly have a storyline throughout the season, but he’s an important character in the Ferrix sequences, never more so than when Maarva passes away. The poor thing trembles when he realizes that she’s gone. “I don’t want to be alone,” he insists when one of Maarva’s friends offers to give him a moment of privacy with the body. “I want Maarva.”

B2EMO mostly speaks in a monotone voice, and yet, the emotion of his words comes through loud and clear. Worrying about Cassian when he’s in trouble. Excited to see Cassian when he comes back home. And then utter loss when Maarva dies. Bless Brasso, who’s so gentle and understanding with Bee, recognizing him as a member of the family who’s grieving. He tries to get the droid to go back to his place with him, not wanting him to be alone, but when B2EMO plaintively says, “You could stay,” Brasso begrudgingly agrees.

I love that B2EMO takes such a pivotal role in the season finale. During Maarva’s funeral, he and Brasso are both at the head of the procession, and once everyone is assembled, he projects Maarva’s final holo-message to the town into the sky. When the riot begins, it’s because a jittery ISB officer, desperate to cut off Maarva’s rousing message, first tries to cover Bee’s projector and then knocks him to the ground. This is Ferrix, buddy! Nobody messes with our busted little droid!

I know there’s a lot of ground to cover in season 2, but I really, really hope we haven’t seen the last of B2EMO. He’s a wonderful character who adds a lot of emotion to the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment