"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Top Five Performances: 2023 Tony Awards

Some great performances this year. I definitely came away from the telecast with new cast recordings for my “to buy” list! Here were my favorites.

 

 

Into the Woods

I’m a simple woman. Give me a performance of “It Takes Two,” and by and large, I’m a happy camper. Sara Bareilles and Brian d’Arcy James are so charming and cute here. Their rendition of the number was very sweet, and the puppeteer playing Milky White added a nice touch of fun!

 

 

& Juliet

This show looks like a good time. I’m all for Juliet singing pop hits. Lorna Courtney brought it, and the choreography was terrific. I also thoroughly enjoyed myself checking out all the costumes, which were mostly modern with Elizabeth elements thrown in—i.e., streetwear with a doublet on top, a cute skirt and top accented by a ruff.

 

 

Kimberly Akimbo

I’d heard a little about this show prior to the Tonys, enough to know the premise and that it was supposed to be good, while not being to everyone’s taste. Finding out the score was by Jeanine Tesori made a lot of sense. I loved this performance—the song, “Anagram,” was beautifully melodic and just a little bit off-kilter, and Victoria Clark displayed some excellent singing/acting. I also really liked the energy that Justin Cooley brought playing off her. This definitely went in the “cast recordings to buy” column!

 

Parade

During the brief dialogue before the number started, I realized they were doing “This is Not Over Yet,” and I got really excited. There are so many incredible songs in Parade, but I think that one might be my favorite, and you can’t go wrong with Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond singing it with all their hearts. Both are in fantastic voice, and I got chills when they turn and look at each other just before the end.

 

 

Sweeney Todd

It’s admittedly kind of a baller move to go, “Yes, our show stars Josh Groban, but we’re going to perform a number where he only sings on the last stanza.” But by God, they got the job done. “The Ballad of Sweeney Todd” is always a solid choice anyway, and I love the eeriness and atmosphere of this performance. From the juddering possessed-doll quality of the choreography to Sweeney Todd striding out of a billow of fog at the end, this was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment