"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Asexual Sighting: Florence (Sex Education)

*Florence-related spoilers.*

I didn’t mention Florence when I was reviewing Sex Education for Other Doctor Lives because 1) she’s a very minor character, only appearing in three episodes of the show, and 2) I knew I wanted to get into talking about her here. Given the exceedingly wide array of sexual orientations, attitudes, and idiosyncrasies displayed on the show, I appreciate that that variety extended to asexuality.

Florence shows up in season 2, in the storyline where Jackson joins the school play. She’s the Juliet to his Romeo, and while the majority of her episode appearances are brief, focused much more on Jackson than her, she gets her own spotlight subplot in the fourth episode of the season.

Now, Florence is passionate about acting, at one point declaring, “I’m the best actor in this school. I’m basically Meryl Streep, but young and Scottish.” It’s unsurprising that she’s super into playing Juliet and is mainly concerned about whether jock Jackson’s performance is going to bring her down. But then she’s criticized in rehearsals—Lily, who adapted the script, complains, “Florence, this is a play about horny teenagers. I don’t believe you want to have sex with him at all.”

This remark, combined with comments from her peers about being too “picky,” brings Florence’s secret concerns to a head. She tries to discuss it with Otis, but he overidentifies with her in the wrong ways. Because he’s also a virgin and is preparing to have sex with his girlfriend for the first time, he hears Florence saying she doesn’t want to have sex and takes that to mean, like him, that she’s nervous about having sex or doesn’t know if she’s ready. But they’re not the same. While Otis has a lot of hangups and baggage about sex that are getting in the way for him, he does want to have sex. Florence doesn’t.

Luckily for Florence, this is the season where Jean is at the school, ostensibly writing a new sex ed curriculum but also talking with the students about their sexual problems and questions. Florence shares what’s going on, admitting, “I don’t want to have sex ever, with anyone. I think I might be broken.” First and foremost, Jean listens, and then she offers her own knowledge and experience to help Florence understand herself, asking her if she’s heard of asexuality.

Given the circumstances, it’s very Asexuality 101, but it’s done well. Jean explains that aceness is an orientation just like any other, and she tells Florence a little about romantic orientation, assuring her that it’s perfectly natural to not want sex but still want romance.

That word, “natural,” is key. Above all else, Jean reassures Florence that there’s nothing wrong with being ace. By the end of their conversation, Jean calls back to her initial admission, asking, “Sex doesn’t make us whole, and so how could you ever be broken?” That kind of gentle, matter-of-fact acceptance and affirmation is beautiful to see.

Although she’s only a very small part of the show, I still appreciate Florence’s inclusion. The series is swimming in hormones and horniness, which makes her feel entirely like the odd one out, so it’s wonderful to have her discover who she is with the help of an understanding adult like Jean. And honestly, I like that she’s so into acting as well. There’s sometimes a perception that an asexual life is sad and empty, but in my experience, aces take our lack of sexual attraction and fill it with a passion for so many other things. I love reading, watching movies/TV, and writing. I love cooking and crafting, and I love music. I love my cats. I have a rich, full life that isn’t the least diminished for being ace. That’s what I want for Florence, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment