"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, July 22, 2021

The Book of Rannells: Black Monday: Season 3, Episode 8 – “Three!” (2021)

Getting down to the wire now! Only two episodes left after this week – I can see some of the plotlines that are on the brink of bubbling over, but I’m sure there’s a lot coming that I can’t begin to predict.

Mo and Dawn prepare for a big change, but an unexpected complication arises at a clutch moment. A surprising encounter with Tiff makes Blair reflect on what he really wants.

Really short plot summary – super vague, I know. That’s how you know it’s heating up, because there’s so little to talk about without spoilers. What I can say is that 1) tidbits from earlier in the season come back in important ways, 2) like episode 6, we get the pleasure of seeing most of our main cast in the same room, and 3) shit gets wild! This show, I tell you. Really looking forward to the final two episodes of the season.

Terrific humor, as always. I love Mo counseling Dawn on prospective plastic surgery – “The golden booby-to-booty ratio is 3:4, and you got de ass” – and one character has a pitch-perfect response to being called a redhead. The line, “You guys really like a good defenestration, don’t you?” made me smile. Also, getting all of our characters in contact with one another means we get to see everyone clowning on Mo as he tries to concoct a master plan in real time (overreliance on honeypots, it’s a problem.)

It’s a good episode for Andrew Rannells. Blair is stressed, what with the assassination attempts and the deaths of multiple other people around him, and that still has him feeling suspicious and paranoid. This leads to some great interactions with Tiff, and like I said, it also leads him to some self-reflection. Rannells gets nice material to work with on both the comedic and dramatic fronts. For the former, I love this exchange between Tiff and Blair: “I can’t believe I didn’t know you were gay.” “Imagine my surprise!” And for the latter, I love the way that Rannells can still make me feel for Blair, despite everything he’s done.

That’s one thing I like about this show. We’re dealing with a lot of immoral, unscrupulous people. They’ve all conned each other and/or stabbed each other in the back at some point, and while some of them have made various moves toward being better people, they’re still allowed to be bad and messy while remaining weirdly understandable. Blair isn’t a good person, and neither are Mo and Dawn, though both of them have come closer to “reforming” themselves (grading on this show’s very generous curve) than he has. And I don’t particularly want them to be “good.” Half the fun is watching the trouble they get up to and the chaotic ways they manage to keep one step ahead of the consequences. And yet, they all still resonate strongly, and you want them to somehow work things out between them. It’s like, “Yes, do crimes and be magnificent bastards, but do it together.” I realize that antiheroes are nothing new on television, of course, but I still think the show pulls it off especially well.

No comments:

Post a Comment