"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Monday, May 31, 2021

Top Five Romances: Disney Princess Films

I’ve done princesses and princes, now we’re coming back around to look at them together. Even before I started picking out a Top Five, I knew that there’d be a lot of overlap with the princesses and princes I singled out in my earlier posts, but I also knew I was okay with it. Favorite Disney romances, here we go!

 

Aurora & Phillip (Sleeping Beauty)

Phillip was the only classic-era character to make it onto my Top Five princes post, and Aurora’s relationship with him is similarly the only classic-era romance to appear here. Is it love at first sight? Sure. And does Aurora do a very ill-advised thing out of her affection for a guy she just met? Absolutely. But their meet-cute is so utterly charming, with Phillip being taken by Aurora dancing in the forest with her animal friends as she sings about her dreams of love. And it’s sweet that they fall in love with each other not realizing they’ve been betrothed since Aurora’s birth.

 

Belle & the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)

Now’s not the time to get all smug about Stockholm Syndrome, okay? That’s not what’s going on here. This is a clever young woman who recognizes the Beast for who he is – not a monster, but a man – and she treats him as such. When he acts unkind out of selfishness and bitterness, she stands up to him, and when he begins to soften, she sees how he’s changing and responds with grace. Their connection in the original animated film is great, and I really love how their story opens up in the live-action movie, allowing us more scenes of them getting to know one another and bonding.

 

Aladdin & Jasmine (Aladdin)

Love. Before I knew what chemistry was, these two had it in spades when they met in the market. Despite their major differences, they’re immediately simpatico in the ways that matter. The thing that stands between them getting together is Aladdin’s insecurity – even though he loves Jasmine for her brightness and spark and the very first thing he sees her do is be kind to someone, he looks at himself and thinks he can’t be enough when he realizes she’s a princess. But pretending to be someone he’s not nearly ruins their chances, and it’s only when he’s honest with her that they can make it work. As with Beauty and the Beast, I’m including the live-action versions here too, because Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott are just a delight together.

 

Rapunzel & Flynn (Rapunzel)

Ah, the sheltered princess who holds onto dreams despite tough circumstances and the scalawag who has a bigger heart than he’d give himself credit for. These two are a fun duo, bringing all kinds of great slapstick in their early scenes together (the frying pan! You love to see it) before going on an adventure and ultimately falling in love. Neither character was able to squeeze into my earlier Top Fives, despite both being great on their own, but I do really like them as a pair.

 

Anna & Kristoff (Frozen)

I know that the love/hate thing is a trope, and there are plenty of times when this device makes me roll my eyes, but when it’s done well, it’s great. I knew I was a fan of Anna and Kristoff as soon as he finds out she’s engaged to something she just met and starts quizzing her on how much she really knows about this guy. Her naïve optimism blends well with his curmudgeonly cynicism, and it’s a lot of fun to watch them slowly discover how well they fit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment