"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Friday, May 8, 2020

Jesus Christ Superstar (2012)


Andrew Lloyd-Webber has gotten in on the “stream shows for free on YouTube” train as well, using the channel The Shows Must Go On. As with the National Theatre Live productions, the short availability on these means that by the time I watch something, write a review, and post it, it’s likely already gone. In fact, that goes double for these shows, since each one is only up for the length of a weekend. On the plus side, most of these have been recently elsewhere and can be found on DVD or certain streaming services, so if you miss them, they can still be found outside of waiting for a showing in cinemas. I’ll try and do write-ups for the shows I’m able to catch.

Set during the final days before the crucifixion, Jesus Christ Superstar follows Judas Iscariot as he struggles to “strip away the myth from the man.”  He’s grown disillusioned with Jesus and has begun to consider drastic measures to save Him from Himself (or at least, that’s what Judas tells himself.)

As I was watching this, my mind flashed on a friend commenting that they couldn’t understand how Hamilton uses a hip-hop score/vernacular to dramatize America’s founders, and I realized I should’ve brought up Superstar as a counterpoint. “Israel in 4 B.C.” had no wailing guitar solos, and I’m pretty sure none of Jesus’ disciples ever actually said, “What’s the buzz? Tell me what’s happening!” It made me think of how revolutionary it must have been to watch this show when it first came out.

The show’s modernity and immediacy has always been a big selling point, and this version leans heavily into that with the costumes and design. Jesus and the disciples dress like hipster activists, and big video screens periodically display social media “footage” of them, complete with their hashtags. The Pharisees and Pilate sport modern looks too, more boardroom baddies than the “fascist chic” air they give off in other versions I’ve seen. I enjoy little touches like Jesus’ followers living in a tent city or Jesus wearing a prison jumpsuit at his trial.

One thing I just don’t get is various productions’ insistence on focusing on sex/debauchery in “The Temple,” when the main focus should be on money. Looking at the origins of that story, Jesus gets angry because of how people are profiting off of the temple, and the sins He rails against are greed and exploitation. But I feel like, in each version I see of the show, this song gets progressively sexier. Here, it’s a nightclub full of titillation, and it also includes a fair amount of queer imagery. I dunno, maybe that’s how that song is supposed to be, but interpreting it that way misses the mark for me.

I’m a little mixed on the casting. Tim Minchin plays Judas. I actually know Minchin best for writing the score for Matilda, so this was the first time I actually saw him perform in anything. His singing is excellent, but his acting feels a little remote for me, and that keeps me from fully connecting with him in the role. And honestly, I’m not much of a fan of Ben Forster as Jesus. Again, the acting doesn’t feel quite right, and especially on the high notes, his Jesus can come off as kind of whiny. Granted, Lloyd-Webber’s version of Jesus is not the one from the Bible, but it still doesn’t track for me – I can’t completely buy that people would follow this Jesus. For me, the strongest performances in this show come from Melanie C. as Mary Magdalene, Giovanni Spano as Simon, and Alexander Hanson as Pilate (I feel like the performance really makes or breaks Pilate – with a great actor, the role comes alive, but if the acting is limited, I don’t care about Pilate at all.)

This is the third filmed recording I’ve seen of Jesus Christ Superstar, in addition to having the 1970 concept album, and I feel like I’m still chasing my ideal version of the show. So far, I think the first version I saw, the 2001 recording with Glenn Carter and Jérôme Pradon, is my favorite filmed recording of it, but I haven’t watched that in years, so my memory might be improving on it to an extent (even though that one too has issues for me.) Sometime, when I’m not busy watching National Theatre Live and Andrew-Lloyd Webber recordings on a strict schedule, I’ll have to revisit it and see if my thoughts have changed. (Side note: YouTube has provided me with some illicit clips of Michael K. Lee and Drew Sarich variously performing in both main roles, and each of those performances fairly knock my socks off.)

Warnings

Violence, sexual content, drinking/smoking, and strong thematic elements (including suicide.)

No comments:

Post a Comment