"Better a fallen rocket than never a burst of light."
~ Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love

Thursday, February 6, 2020

2020 Oscars: Picks


As always, my Oscar picks are the nominees I’d like to see win rather than the ones I necessarily expect to win. Looking at my nine favorite categories, here are the ones I’m rooting for. Although I did pretty well this year, there are a few movies that I didn’t catch, so I’ve noted whatever I might be missing in the various categories.

Best Picture: Jojo Rabbit – There are a number of great movies on this list, especially Parasite, Little Women, 1917, and Marriage Story. But I’m still carrying a torch for Jojo Rabbit, even though I know it really isn’t in the conversation here. My favorite movie of the year – I love it so much, and even though it didn’t get as much love as I’d have liked to see for it in the other categories, it’s still my pick for Best Picture. (Note: I haven’t seen Joker.)

Best Leading Actor: Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes) – I wavered a lot between Pryce and Adam Driver, and in the end, I had to give Pryce just a slight edge, even though I loved both a lot. Pryce’s performance just draws me in so well. (Note: I haven’t seen Antonio Banderas in Pain and Glory or Joaquin Phoenix in Joker.)

Best Leading Actress: Renée Zellweger (Judy) – This is a tough category filled with a lot of strong performances, but this is an instance where I have to go with the consensus. Faithful rendering of Judy Garland aside, Zellweger definitely made me feel all the emotions in this movie.

Best Supporting Actor: Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood) – Honestly, while all these performances are obviously good, none of them really make me go, “Give that man an Oscar!” I ultimately went with Hanks; I wouldn’t say he quite nails Mr. Rogers’s voice and demeanor, but the emotional beats of the performance are right on the money.

Best Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie (Bombshell) – Another tough one. I leaned really hard toward Florence Pugh, and I loved Scarlett Johansson in Jojo Rabbit, but even though both of those actresses are in superior films, Robbie is just stunningly good in this role, especially in the scene in Roger’s office. (Note: I haven’t seen Kathy Bates in Richard Jewell.)

Best Original Screenplay: Parasite – A no-brainer, even though there are other strong contenders here. Parasite is just so expertly conceived and put together. Every moment counts, and it brings comedy, pathos, and existential horror in spades, weaving in thoughtful commentary throughout.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit – I loved Little Women and was very impressed with The Two Popes, but I really need Jojo Rabbit to win this one. Absolutely incredible – so, so, so good. This is probably the award I’m more invested in than any other. (Note: I haven’t seen Joker.)

Best Director: Parasite – I really liked Sam Mendes’s work in 1917 as well, but I go back to how expertly every single instant in Parasite comes together, and that’s on Bong Joon Ho. He steered that ship, and it couldn’t be what it is without his fingerprints carefully nudging every scene into exactly the right place. (Note: I haven’t seen Joker.)

Best Cinematography: Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood – Not to take away from 1917’s amazing technical achievement, and I’d be perfectly happy with that film winning, but I tend to gravitate toward really intentional, beautifully-framed shots, and that was my reaction to Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’s cinematography. (Note: I haven’t seen Joker or The Lighthouse.)

No comments:

Post a Comment